Chapter 8

Kevin's Pov.

The last few days of school before spring break, while all my friends played football, I was in the library studying.
Joey hardly said two words to me unless it was school related, I wanted to talk to him.
But he made it really clear that we weren’t friends, just tutor and dumb jock.
His words not mine, I sighed, we were doing math. Algebra was never interesting to me, I rubbed my face a couple of times in frustration and groaned.
''Something wrong?’’ Joey questioned barely glancing up from his book.
''This problem is difficult.'' I whined and I widened my eyes in surprise, since when do I whine?
''Ok let's see.'' He takes the paper from me, I don’t know why when he was the one that did the problems, he made it seem like a walk in the park.
''THE DISTANCE D BETWEEN POINTS (-4, -5) AND (-1, -1) IS GIVEN BY
D=SQRT [(-1- -4)2+ (-1- -5)2]
SIMPLIFY.
D=SQRT (9+16) =5...
Amen I thought but as he saw my confusion he sighed and started explaining to me
again step by step.
Here's how’s my schedule is looking.
MATH.
ENGLISH (LANGUAGE ARTS)
SCIENCE.
SOCIAL STUDIES...
FOREIGN LANGUAGES...
Lunch
and then back to studying.
My mind felt over loaded, but it kind of made me feel good, not dumb.
Over the next couple of days this was how it progressed.
Till the day after they all left for spring break, the next day we were supposed to meet at the public library so we could continue studying.
I got there first since Joey walked all the time, I would've offered to drive him, but since the first time I did and he freaked out, I never offered again.
15 minutes pass and no Joey, 25 minutes still no Joey, 1 hour and still no Joey, I stood and picked up all my stuff and shoved it into my book bag.
I got into to my car and drove to Sammy’s house, I spotted Joey right, away he was walking, not towards the library, but the opposite direction and he just kept on walking.
He walked for like 30 minutes, til he reached the star bucks in town, he went in got a coffee and made his way to a table where a guy was already sitting. I felt like a stalker, sitting in my car outside the parking lot, watching Joey through the big windows, the guy stood up and hugged Joey giving him a kiss on the LIPS!!! I noticed that Joey's arms were limp hanging by his side, he didn’t hug him back, I don’t even think he kissed him back.
What pissed me off the most was that Joey blew me off to go on a date.
Liar my mind mocked me, yeah well you’re dumb,  I said back to my mind, I groan yeah I’m going crazy.
I pulled out of the parking lot and went home, as soon as I got home my phone chimed, it was a text from Joey...
Joey=can you come over to the house?
I hesitated on replying to him, why should I? Or should I say yea ok, but not show up? With a long sigh I replied ok.

Once at Joey's I walked up to the door but I didn’t knock, he was already waiting for me on the outside of the house.
He looked distressed, he started walking, and I followed him, we both walked with our hands in our pockets til he sighed and broke the silence.
''Sorry for not showing up.” Joey mumbled.
''It's ok.'' I replied wanting to ask more, but it was his personal life.
''Liar.'' he snorted, I glance sideways at him in confusion.
''So since you were following me, I guess I should tell you that I’m gay.'' he drawled looking everywhere but at me.
''How did you know?'' I asked frowning and he laughed.
''You followed me for all half hour of my walk and we passed some shops with big windows, I could see your car's reflection.'' he smirked at my pale face.

''Is he your boyfriend?'' I asked him, I don’t know why I wanted to know but I did.
''No, he wants to, but our history sucks so I told him we can't go there.'' Joey stayed quiet and for some reason his answer made me happy, why? Maybe because he won’t blow me off, and he can still help me graduate, yeah let’s go with that!
''So you're ok? I mean with me being gay?'' he studied my face for his answer and I smiled.
''As long as you don’t blow me off for another dude, nah I don’t mind.'' I said, he stopped and stared at me.
''What?’’ I asked him, trying not to squirm under his intense gaze.
''Nothing.'' he mumbled and shook his head a couple of times.
''Don’t worry, I won’t blow you off anymore, for anyone else’ he started walking again.
We made it to the park, I didn’t even realized how far we had  walked,
We both sat on the swings and just started swinging, like little kids.
''When I was little my dad used to push me on the swings.'' Joey said absentmindedly,
''I never got pushed on these.'' I pointed out.
''Me and my family used to have family nights.” he spoke softly as if he was somewhere else.
''Hey would you like to have family night with me? It’s tomorrow.'' I made up on the spot, we don’t have family night but I'll talk them into it, I don’t like seeing Joey sad.
I think I like him like a younger brother, like I’d protect my lil bro, I'll help Joey through his hard times, just like he's helping me graduate.
''If they don’t mind, I guess I'll come.'' he shrugged looking up at the sky.
''Cool, hey thanks for helping me graduate.'' I thanked him and he smiled.
''No problem, besides I just know next week when we go back to school, you'll prove me wrong, that you do have a chance and I’m not wasting my time tutoring you.'' he declared.
I smiled and we stayed quiet, a nice and comfortable silence and I'll be damned, but I liked it.