Chapter 25

The cold tip of the blade grazed across my throat, which did nothing to calm my fast racing heart. I've been in these kinds of situations before. "Who wouldn't want the blood of a prince?" My mother would always say to me. Still, I didn't expect to run into a gang of bandits, this far away from all civilization. How they survive out here is a mystery to me.

I raise my hands in defeat. The man with the sword pressed against my neck grumbled in a deep voice "Get up". He reeked of tobacco and his clothes were tattered into just pieces of cloth that covered everywhere that was important. "With all due respect, I would be much more opposed to do what you want if you would, I don't know, GET THAT BLOODY BLADE OFF MY THROAT" I say, trying to sound tougher than I was actually feeling at the moment.

The man kicked me hard for my rude comment, though I wasn't fazed by it. What kind of man would I be if one kick sent me crying for my mother? "UP!" The man repeats, it's time with even more anger blazing in his eyes. I look at the men around me, and see one smirking and leaning up against a tree. "I'd do what he says lad, you don't want to mess with Rodrick if he has a sword" he says with a sly grin.

With that I relent and stand, the blade leaving a mark on my throat from where he was holding me. Rodrick took a rope from one of his comrades and wrapped it tightly around my wrists. I bite my lip in discomfort, since I felt the burn of the ropes rubbing against my skin.

"Mmm, what a pretty boy we have here. Royalty for sure" Rodrick spats to the others. "Worth lots of money! Sell him!" The other men shout to Rodrick, their eyes looking at me excitedly. "Now, Princey, care to tell me what kingdom you come from?" Rodrick asks in a teasing tone.

I spit in reply, completely uninterested In helping these bandits in any way. In return to this, Rodrick smacks me upside the head, then continues to kick my behind and send a blow right into the centre of my stomach. I can't help the groan that escapes my mouth, from the sheer pain.

"KINGDOM!?" Rodrick says again. I remain silent and stare out in another direction, still refusing to give him the information he wants. "BOY IF YOU DON' TELL ME I WILL HAPPILY END YOUR LIFE! ROYALTY OR NOT!!!!" Rodrick screeches, which merits a few whimpers from the other men in the group. It's clear Rodrick threatens all of them, and they all are still very scared of him.

"ONE LAST TIME! WHAT IS YOUR KINGDOM?!" I allow myself a sly grin and simply say "The smelly and gross bandit kingdom"

Rodrick is now fully enraged, and I take this opportunity to swing my legs underneath him which causes him to land on his buttocks. I stifle a laugh, since watching a big and burly man fall on the ground is funnier than watching the palace cat chase around the mice.

Although it wasn't the best idea, since all of the men then charged on me. They ganged up around me and began beating me in every way they could. I yell in pain as I try to fight back, though these ropes don't give me any leeway. They continuously kick and punch me, with one hitting me square in the jaw. The pain becomes unreal and I start to feel myself black out. Before I do, I look up. The man on the try grins once again as he watches it all unfold. Then in a split second, everything changes. He steps up, coughing loudly.

The men cease attacking for a moment, curious as to why the other guy wasn't getting in on the beating too. In one swift motion, the man slips the cloak off, to reveal Westen smiling back at me. "Sheesh your highness, you really do know how to get yourself into trouble" he says, a playful tone in his voice. "WESTEN!" I say, relief flowing through me. He grabs his sword and leaps into battle, easily taking the lives of many of the men. The bandits took a moment to realize what was happening, but as soon as they did, they charged at Westen, their swords held high.

Westen turns to me, and grabs another sword off of his back. He dodges all of the men around him, leaps to me, and breaks the ropes that held me. He handed me the sword. "What? Why are you here?!" I ask, trying to catch my breath. "Time for pleasantries later sir, let us survive this first." Westen says, a serious tone in his voice now. I nod, and we turn back to battle.

Back-to-back we fight, taking out the bandits one by one. I ram my sword into the back of the last one, and we stand, breathing heavily. We both have nothing to say, since we're exhausted from the battle. Westen nods to me, and I nod in return. I gesture towards the stream up ahead, both of us needing to cool off. We leave the carnage behind us and make our way to the stream, exhaustion fatiguing my muscles.