13

Autumn, Harry, and Ron were in Defense Against the Darks when Snape barged into the classroom. He pointed his wand at all the windows, closing them with a silent spell.

Autumn felt the seat next to her empty as Hermione wasn't there at the moment. Autumn suspected she would be here soon, as Autumn thought that Hermione might have some help with her other classes.

"Turn to page 394," Snape said bitterly.

"Excuse me, sir. Where's Professor Lupin?" Harry asked. 

"That's not really your concern, is it, Potter? Suffice it to say your professor finds himself incapable of teaching. . . at the present time. Turn to page 394," Snape repeated.

"'Werewolves'?" Ron asked, once Snape turned the pages of his book using magic.

Autumn turned to see Hermione sitting down in the chair beside her, with a familiar looking chain around her neck. "Sir, we just learned about red caps and hinkypunks. We're not meant to start that for weeks."

"Quiet," Snape said.

"When did she come in? Did you see her come in?" Ron panicked. 

"Now, which one of you can tell me the difference. . . between an Animagus and a werewolf?"

Hermione raised her hand and waved it speedily. Snape ignored her.

"No one? How disappointing," Snape said emotionless.

"Please, sir. An Animagus is a wizard who elects to turn into an animal. A werewolf has no choice. With each full moon. . . he no longer remembers who he is. He'd kill his best friend. The werewolf only responds to the call of its own kind." 

Malfoy howled.

"Thank you, Mr. Malfoy." Snape looked as if he was thinking. "That's the second time you've spoken out of turn, Miss Granger. Are you incapable of restraining yourself -- or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

Hermione looked at her book, eyes' brimming with tears.

"He's got a point, you know," Ron said to Harry. 

Autumn picked up her spare novel and threw it at Ron, trying to aim for his head because it obviously didn't work.

Snape apparently didn't notice. "Five points from Gryffindor. As an antidote to your ignorance, and on my desk, by Monday morning. . . two rolls of parchment on the werewolf, with emphasis. . . on recognizing it." 

"The term 'werewolf'. . . is a contraction of the Anglo-Saxon word 'wer'. . . which means 'man,' and 'wolf.' Werewolf, man-wolf. There are several ways to become a werewolf. They include being given the power of shape-shifting. . . being bitten by a werewolf. . ." Snape went on and on as the class progressed.

Autumn wondered why Snape kept repeating werewolf when the class was (obviously) saying that they were on redcaps and hinkypunks.

>>>

Finally, it was Quidditch season. The first match was starting in a few minutes and Autumn felt excited as she sat down wearing full Gryffindor gear. She didn't have as much spirit as Dean, who colored his entire face in scarlet and gold.

The match was supposed to be Gryffindor versus Slytherin, but Malfoy's arm was still 'broken' therefore the match was rescheduled so that Hufflepuff played Gryffindor.

The day was not sunny at all. Clouds and fog covered the skies and Autumn was shocked that they didn't cancel the match. Wind and rain reigned upon the field, as if it were a lord's kingdom. Thunder and lightning echoed throughout the field as well.