Chapter 3- Alone

"Mom?" I murmured. " Where am I?"Everything was black. So dark. Was this what it was like to die? I didn't like it- I was so cold. What had happened to Kenneth? I hoped he was okay. That was my last thought before I sank into deeper unconciousness.

I came to a little after noon, I'm guessing. Weak, my eyelids fluttered. I opened my eyes.

"Hazel? Hazel? Are you okay? Hazel, answer me!" My mother's frantic voice was panicked. She was kneeling at my cot by my head.

"Thank goodness you're awake. You are at the rescue centre. Oh, Hazel, I was so worried about you, you have no idea..." Her voice trailed off.

Rescue centre? We didn't have a rescue centre...and then it all came back to me. The earthquake. The tsunami. I sat bolt upright, fighting the dizziness.

"Where is Dad? And Kenneth? Have they found them yet? Are they okay? Where are they?" I demanded.

My mother's eyes turned sad. "Your father will be okay, Hazel." She said, avoiding my eyes. She had also avoided answering my second question.

"Kenneth? Where is he?" I asked, dreading the truth.

My mom looked down and squeezed my hand. "Hazel, I'm really sorry..."

I couldn't hear anything else. Kenneth was dead. I understood what it meant, but couldn't imagine him ever lying still. It seemed so impossible. Kenneth, who I beat at tennis just a week ago. Kenneth, whose birthday just passed. Kenneth, who squeezed my hand as the water filled the room...

  Sorry the chapter is so short, but I wasn't really thinking of keeping them all the same length. Whatever fits the story, right? Anyways, see you guys next chapter!