CH 5. NEW YORK'S NIGHTLIFE

My spine stiffened as the sleek vehicle drifted between lanes in order to maintain it's pursuit of our ride. Blake remained oblivious to our tail and it became clear that the driver wasn't making  any particular attempt to remain inconspicuous— overtly pushing in between tight spaces and claiming the position behind us. Keeping my eyes on the rear view mirror, I swallowed the lump of anxiety clogging my throat.

I desperately scrambled for any plausible reason that could explain the Bentley's obvious stalking. After all, I couldn't exactly be certain that this paranoia was warranted. The letter I'd received had been vague, it could have easily been for any one of the other tenants in our building. Not to mention, New York was a big city, with a nocturnal nightlife. There was a genuine possibility that this was all a coincidence; perhaps we weren't being followed but just heading to the same location as the occupants of the car shadowing us.

Tapping his fingers along the steering wheel, Blake took several smooth turns before bringing us into another busy street. The club he'd chosen was definitely a step up from our last location. It was high-end, sophisticated and sensual. Pulling up in front of the magnificent building Blake handed the valet his key before getting my door. Guiding me to the matte glass double doored entrance, accented by an elegant frame of gold, he had a word with the bouncer. Holding his hand up the large muscular man pressed a finger to the earpiece stuck in his ear.

Looking over my shoulder I watched the Bentley slide into a snug space by the curb opposite the nightclub. Swallowing I flipped back around, stiff and now certain we were being watched. Gripping one of the two thin gold bars, that ran full length down the centre of both doors, the bouncer gestured for us to enter. "Have a nice night sir, ma'am." He smiled surprisingly pleasantly. I watched as Blake tucked his money back into the pocket of his wallet. No cover charge? My subconscious pondered this in silent confusion. This place was without doubt an exclusive venue. If anything, I would have expected the cover charge to be worth more than my dress.

"Thanks man." Blake commented, shrugging at me before ushering me through the open door. It was like walking into an explicit, adult entertainment club full of seduction, glamour and luxury. I admired the dancers as they moved hypnotically around the brilliantly positioned matte black podiums— sliding around the thick gold pole attached to the centre of each with artistic sophistication. They were glamorous, their presence lifted the cultured elegance of the entire establishment. Leading me down the smooth tiled steps, Blake smirked at one of the dancers as she gracefully slid back to the podium— casting a seductive smile, that hinted at the pleasures she could offer, in our direction. Gliding to the edge of the podium she ran her long thin fingers down the centre of my body. I caught Blake's smirk fall into a frown at having lost the enchantress' attention...her interests were a little beyond anything Blake could biologically offer.

Her caramel curls fell around her exposed breasts as she drew me closer, squeezing my hip with her free hand. Clearing his throat when the beautiful dancer trailed her index finger between my cleavage, Blake quickly pulled me towards one of the hostesses making her way to us. "Good evening sir, ma'am. Please follow me, your booth is ready." Her voice was musical. I was almost terrified that we'd somehow stumbled upon a concealed siren den, where we'd be indulged and carefully seduced until we willingly volunteered to be harvested. The booth was private and much larger than those close to the main floor, restricted by a red velvety rope. I looked to Blake for an explanation but he was far too preoccupied with our hostess to notice.

Unclipping the rope from one of the stands she motioned for us to enter the VIP booth. Explaining that she would be taking care of us tonight, she asked us if we'd like to order any drinks. Blake scanned her tall, lean frame appraisingly. The brunette wore a black, skin tight cocktail dress which earned a charming smirk from Blake. Rolling my eyes, I settled into the plush horseshoe shaped sofa. It was painfully obvious that Blake had made his selection for the night— his intentions only encouraged by the woman's sexy smile. "Could I please get two beers, a gin and tonic with lime and six shots." Blake shot me a warning look. I didn't drink much or often so the quantity I'd ordered sparked his concern.