CH 9. BURN THE SWEATPANTS

Left exhausted from the disappointment the day had brought, my mind seemed to surrender to my more primitive desires. The usual protests echoed somewhere in the distance, easily shadowed by the lustful sounds of my arousal. I could feel myself wanting him; the junction between my thighs ached with need.

Curling his arm around me further, he pressed his thick fingers into my hip. My stomach tightened at the small alteration of his powerful grip. Sliding my palms over his ripped abdomen— the thin material of his shirt almost non-existent— I closed my eyes. Tasting his breath on my heated lips sent a rush of pleasure straight to the pulsing point where I needed him most. The memory of his flavour, toyed with the sensations exploring within me. Tilting my head slowly I leaned towards him—like a relapsing junkie, convincing myself that this would be the last hit.

The smooth vibrations of my phone, against the leather pocket decorating my bag's exterior, had me jerking away from the brute. Breaking out of his grip I retreated until my back met the elevator wall, the icy temperature forcing a shiver to ripple through me.

Slipping my phone out of the outer pocket I licked my suddenly very dry lips. "Hey, uh-I'm on my way up now." I rushed the words out before Blake had the chance to analyse my pathetically breathless and flustered tone. Disconnecting the call, I dropped my phone into the open bag.

Thankfully, the arrival bell signalled that our cart had stopped seconds before the doors slid open. Curving around his large frame, I rushed out of the small space. Stepping into the open air I sucked in a deep breath. I wasn't going to back down on this. Viewing something as personal as sex as nothing more than an activity, convenience or requirement didn't sit right with me. This guy was bad news, I could feel it and I was planning to steer clear. Granted, if it weren't for Blake's phone call, I just might have compromised my morals and jumped out impossibly sexy new neighbour. But if you ask me, pulling away at all was an achievement in itself.

"You want me, Miss Reed." My entire body tensed at the sensation of his intoxicating breath fanning the base of my neck. Like a shadow, he'd mirrored my movements out of the elevator...landing us here, standing close...too close. Placing his free hand on my hip, he massaged the thin material I was wearing into my flesh. "So close..." He rasped. "I am going to have you, Charlie. Sooner or later." He groaned, tracing the sensitive skin behind my ear with the tip of his nose. "For both our sakes, it had better be sooner."

Shoving away from his touch I straightened my shoulders, distance allowed me to think straight. So proximity is the issue. Without it, he has no power over you. My subconscious concluded, diagnosing the sudden attraction I'd caught for this man. Folding my arms over my chest gave me a sense of security, control.

"Look Mr Arrogant, we're neighbours-" nodding towards his door, I looked him dead in the eyes, "-and that's all we will ever be." Taken aback by my, I'm sure, lack of submission, he assessed me cautiously— his captivating gaze adamant in its attempt to pierce through my bravado. "I'm sure you're used to mile long lines of women ready to drop their panties for you, at the snap of a finger, that too without any demands in return. I've had the displeasure of witnessing where having sex with you lands a girl." Walking towards my door, I cast him a glance over my shoulder. "I've said it before and I'll say it again, you're a stranger Mr Arrogant. I have no intention of becoming the next name on your long list of many."

***
Nudging me with his elbow, Blake leaned down to smell my hair. "Jesus." He shuddered, scrunching his face in disgust. "Bean, you've got to stop pouting. It's totally killing the vibe." Glaring at Blake, I  weakly tossed a pillow at his face. Frowning, he reached for the plate he'd balanced on the coffee table. "And here I was going to sacrifice my bachelorhood to spend the whole day with you. You can damn well forget that now." He was now the one pouting. "Ungrateful..." He muttered, forking the last of his homemade waffles into his mouth.