Twenty

I never thought I would truly amount to anything. I didn't think I'd get the happy ending I so desperately dream of, I didn't think I'd ever get to tell Tyler I was his mate, and I certainly never thought I'd be fighting three angels so my soul could go back to my body.

I guess 'expect the unexpected' fits everything that's happening right now.

The middle angel simply grinned as he watched the ones surround him advance on me, their silver armor protecting their torsos glinting against the sun. I twisted the sword in my grip, giving Tyler a grin before I shifted my visibility back to where they couldn't see me.

I growled before advancing, their sword coming into contact with mine. They moved the sword and shot their fist out, landing a punch square in my jaw. I gritted my teeth in the pain, using my wing and lashing it against his cheek.

Gold blood dropped from the cut, his face turning red in anger. I shot out with my sword, clashing against both of their armor as I fought with both my sword and my wings. I hit my wing at exactly the right place, one of their armor falling in pieces around their feet. I shot my sword out just as the one with armor did, digging my sword in his abdomen as the other sliced the bare skin on my arm.

I twisted my sword as my wing shot across the throat of the other, his hands flying up to his throats as gold blood spilled down the silver of his abdomen. I looked down to my own arm, smiling as I watched the thin cut heal itself. The middle angel smirked at me, before turning to Tyler and his family.

"It's truly a shame." I shifted myself again, circling him until I stood in front of Tyler.

"What is?" He gave me a toothy smile, his eyes set on the ones behind me.

"You left her body unguarded."

"No!" Tyler shouted as I took off, running up the long staircase with him not far behind me.

I never realized how long the stairs were until now, finally bursting through the doors to find a dark angel standing over my body, holding a small silver knife.

I leaped into my body just as he stabbed it through my chest, my eyes flying open just as the angel faded into air. I screamed as my veins hardened, tumbling out of the stiff bed. The sheets tangled around my legs, dark blood covering the ivory around me.

"No! It isn't supposed to end like this!" Tyler screamed from beside me, my eyes not focusing on him.

I couldn't feel myself, the tips of my fingers rowing numb as I held my hand in front of my face. I felt him prop me up on his knee, screaming filling my ears. Ashe stood in the doorway with Mariah, tears falling down their cheeks.

"Why are you crying?" My voice was weak, weaker than I had ever heard it before.

Was this dying? Was this death?

"Lena," Xander pulled his wife into his arms, Alex curling Mariah into his as she sobbed. I smiled back up to Tyler's green eyes reaching up to rub my thumb along his cheekbone one last time.

"This isn't how it's supposed to end! You were supposed to come home to me!" Tyler sobbed as I grew colder, a small smile filling my face.

"No! Take me!" Jessie pushed through the group surrounding the door, his golden aura surround him.

He was the protector of Angels, he had powers greater than even I. But I couldn't do that, I couldn't let another live simply for my sake.

I shook my head at his big brown eyes stood over me, watching them shut before opening once more, filling with pools of salty tears. "No Jessie, not for me."