Step 6: Be indifferent

The weekend was the most stressful weekend of my life. I was not able to sleep at all due to the unanticipated discovery of Jason Blossom's razed body, and also because Reggie Mantle was driving me insane.

The Mantle-May family outings had significantly decreased since we started our Freshman year. Reggie had too many football commitments, and I was just an all-round recluse.

After the events of this weekend, I was expecting either a text or a call from the athletic boy himself, but in true fxxkboy fashion, he never contacted me after our rendezvous. I wasn't sure what I expected from him, but I did know that I wanted some sort of solid relationship, whether it was romantic or not.

Sunday morning, was going to be complete and utter bliss. Sleep in 'till 1 p.m. Unhealthy brunch consisting of Pop Tarts and hot chocolate. Going over the new River Vixens routine with Betty.

My plans were extinguished, however, when my parents burst into my room at 10 a.m., hours before my anticipated wake-up time.

"God, what is it?" I moaned.

"Sweetie, we're going out for brunch. We have to be at Pop's in an hour," my mom sang.

She was far too happy and cheerful to be around me on a Sunday morning.

"Yeah, I'll be there," I mumbled. My eyes fluttered closed again as I snuggled closer into my quilt. If I could stay in my bed for the rest of my life, I totally would.

"Mia!" My mom screeched. "Get ready now!"

Of all Sunday mornings, why did my parents choose this specific Sunday morning to have a family brunch. I was beyond annoyed, but there was no negotiating with my mother once her mind was made up.

I quickly texted Betty an apologetic text explaining my annoying situation. Bless her soul, she responded, gracefully accepting my apology.

I hurriedly got ready. I grabbed the first thing I saw hanging in my wardrobe and slipped it on. It was a light, peach summer dress. I figured since there was still some warmth, it would be nice to wear something a little carefree before the weather got cold.

I opted for a natural makeup look and a simple braid.

"You look lovely, dear," my dad complimented me as I made my way down the stairs.

"Thanks, Dad," I kissed him softly on the cheek and skipped to the car.

"Oh, Mia, beautiful choice!" I mom beamed. "Perfect for brunch with the Mantles,"

What. I hoped my mother was kidding.

She was not kidding.

As my father pulled up in front of Pop's, I saw the Mantle's black Mercedes parked outside the small diner.

My heart began pounding terribly fast. This was going to be such an awkward brunch.

My parents scolded me since I was walking unbelievably slow towards the entrance of Pop's. Our family was abnormally punctual, but (aside from their son) Mr and Mrs Mantle were beyond punctual. They liked to be early and prepared for everything. They were the embodiment of the perfect family. Two poised and hard-working parents, and a Golden Boy son.

I plastered a sweet smile on my face as my parents shoved me in front of them, putting me on the front line.

Mrs Mantle was the first one to see me. She stood up from the large booth where her family were seated, and showed her pearly white teeth as she sent a smile at me. The woman adored me since birth. She was always available for me if I needed a motherly figure if my mother wasn't around.