Erster Kuss

The girl and I became friends. For one week. It wasn't until the end of the week when I finally learned her name. Audrey. She taught me more English and we had the same bus stop so we'd walk home together. By then, I'd become a little fluent in English. I still had my accent, though.

We were walking home together on a Friday. I brought up my gut and said,

"Do you wanna come to my house?"

"Yeah, sure. Let's go." And with those four words, we headed to my place.

Mama was washing dishes and Papa was in his room. We came in through the back door quietly and ran upstairs.

"Regen, is that you?" She yelled.

Apparently Kurt had seen us, and he told mom,

"Yeah, looks like Regen picked up a fine looking woman while he was out."

She yelled, "Regen, do you have a girl with you?"

"Arschloch." I muttered under my breath.

"Who?" Audrey asked.

"Kurt."

I told Audrey to stay in my room and I went into the kitchen.

"Nope, still forever alone." Kurt laughed.

I stormed back upstairs and Mama returned to the dishes.

"Sorry." I told Audrey. "So what do you want to do?"

"Do you have a bicycle?" she asked. Then, she imitated herself riding a bicycle.

I laughed, "Yes. It has two seats because I used to share it with Kurt."

"Let's go for a ride."

I took her to the shed where Papa had thrown all our junk and pulled out the bicycle made for two. Two wheels, seats, and pairs of pedals. I found two helmets too.

"We won't need those." She said. "Policemen don't come 'round here much. We'll be okay." Perfect German.

Without a word, we sat on the bike together and rode to the front of the house and down the street. She smiled several times and I smiled back. She gave me directions to the local park.

She sat on the swing and I pushed her. It all happened so fast. Our eyes eyes met and our lips locked. People say that when they have thier first kiss with a so-called friend, everything changes for them. But nothing changed for me. Turns out I thought it was meant to be that way in the first place.