Blonde Boy Blues

Sam's POV
     I walked into school that day feeling different. I don't know what it was. The rush of adrenaline or the 5 energy drinks I had for breakfast that morning but whatever is was it made me look at things differently.

    I saw the way people looked at me as I walked down the hallway. They didn't look jealous, like I also thought they were, instead they looked like they felt sorry for me. Sorry that I had to have a mother like the one I have.

   They knew deep down that I was lonely. They knew that I wanted to feel like I belonged.

I noticed Rachel hanging up posters for Glee Club in the bulletin board. I walked up to her. "Hey, Rachel." I said. She looked at me and I saw the fear in her eyes. "Please don't hit me with another slushy." She exclaimed, covering her face with the Glee Club posters in her hands. "Calm down, Boy Hips. I'm not gonna hurt you. I just wanna talk." I told her.

She put the papers down and stared at me. "Ok....What do you wanna talk about?" She asked me. "Have you ever felt like you don't belong?" I asked her. She nodded her head. "All the time but I don't let that get me down because one day I'm going to be a Broadway star and I'm going to be famous." Rachel exclaimed. I smiled. "Well that's great but I don't have hopes and dreams like you have. I'm not talented like you or I'm not the smartest kid in school or I'm not gonna change the world. I'm nothing and in my mom's eyes, I am nothing. I just have to accept that." I told her. "You're not nothing Sam. One day, you'll do great things. You just don't know it yet." She replied. She smiled at me. I smiled back. "Thanks Rach. I appreciate that." I told her.

   I was about to walk away when she spoke up again. "Wait...." She said. I turned to her. "You should join Glee Club. We always treat everyone like they belong and they do belong." I look at her. "Maybe." I said, bedroom for walking down the hallway toward my first period class.