seven

jeongguk pedaled hard and fast, trying to get to the shop quickly so that he would have more time to look at everything and decide on what he needed. he didn't want to be there for too long, as he knew his mother would begin to worry despite him being seventeen years old.

he parked his bicycle outside on the rack where he usually left it and then entered the shop. as soon as he walked inside, he was greeted by the shop owner mrs lee. the two had gotten to know each other quick, as jeongguk came into the shop quite often.

"what are you in here for today, jeongguk?" the older lady asked, pushing her glasses up on her nose.

"well," he began, looking at all of the coloring and drawing supplies. "i need to get a new notebook and some art supplies."

"ooh what for? did you fill your other notebook up already?" she inquired, going and grabbing a notebook and sitting it at the checkout counter.

jeongguk chuckled and shook his head as he grabbed a pack of markers, a pack of colored pencils, a pen for linework, and some regular pencils. "i'm teaching someone to draw."

mrs lee smiled at him as he brought the supplies to the counter. "that's great, jeongguk. is it anyone specific that you're teaching? maybe jimin or ms choi?"

"ah, no. his name is taehyung. i just met him recently. we're becoming good friends." jeongguk grabbed his wallet out of his pocket and began retrieving money for it.

"well that's good that you're making friends, jeongguk. i'm happy to hear that." mrs lee scanned the items – except for the notebook – and then keyed something into the register before telling him his total.

"that's it?" he questioned, his eyes widening at the surprisingly cheap price. "mrs lee..." he trailed off, knowing she must have done something.

"alright alright. i didn't charge you for the notebook and i gave you a discount. and don't try to get me to charge you for it all because it's not happening. you're a loyal customer and i want to express my gratitude for that," she explained, grinning at him.

jeongguk sighed and shook his head. "fine, fine. i know you won't listen if i argue." he handed her the money for the items and grabbed the bag.

he walked to the door and turned around, waving at the woman. "bye mrs lee! thank you!" he called, flashing a bright smile.

"goodbye jeongguk! see you next time!" she responded, waving back at him.

once she knew he had left, she sighed. "that boy is gonna overwork himself. he already looks tired and worn out just from biking here. poor thing needs to just slow his roll and not push himself so hard." she shook her head, grabbing her phone out of her pocket and dialing the boy's mother.