Chapter Six

tw: gay slur(s) and John's dad

John's POV

I gasp, staring at my phone. It couldn't be him, could it? No way. He was locked away for good. Right? 

"Hey, John, mon ami!" It's Lafayette, and he doesn't sound happy. "John, this... This is folie, you refusing to visit Alex... I thought that he was your friend! Or.... Maybe... Boyfriend?" He smirks at that statement.

"Laf, shut up." I whisper, staring at the caller ID. Lafayette notices my expression. 

"John? What's wrong?" He asks, concerned.

I gulp and hit the green button. Answer. 

"Hello? Who is this?" The caller demands. That voice... Last time I heard it, we were in court...

"Who are you?" I mumble back, trying to stall. Lafayette gestures to someone, and they walk over. Hercules.

"Henry Laurens. Now, is Jack Laurens there? I believe this is the right number..."

"You're speaking to him." I mutter, hanging my head. Nononononono...

"Jack. It's been a while, hasn't it?" The tone changed. He sounded... Darker.

"Yes, Father, it has." It pains me to call that monster my father, but I don't know what would happen if I didn't acknowledge my connection to him. He'd get angry, I suppose. Very angry.

Lafayette gasps and snatches my phone away from me. I flail my arms, trying to get it back, but he holds it from reach and speaks into it.

"Bonjour, Mr. Laurens. You're John's father, oui? I'm only asking you once, leave John alone. He doesn't need any merde from you about how he shouldn't like boys, and how he should get a girlfriend, and-" I scream, lunging at Lafayette and knocking him over, grabbing my phone away from him, but it was too late. Henry bellows through the phone at me.

"Jack, how dare you! You're such a disgrace, you ugly, fat embarrassment! I offered therapy and treatment for this sort of... Phase when you were a child, but now you're grown.... And you've become a fag!" He roars. Tears slip down my face as Henry yells at me. 

"Jack, I will find you. Just you wait." He growls. "And I will end this disgraceful behavior before it taints the Laurens' family name and legacy. I'd watch your back if I were you... Or not, and this will be a lot easier for the rest of us."

"Henry, wait-" But he wasn't in the mood to listen. In fact, he was even more enraged.

"Henry? Henry? I am your father, and you will address me so! I have no time to speak with you, anymore, I have a meeting, anyway. Goodbye, fag." He snarled, then hung up. I fell to my knees, shaking. 

I'm so fucked.

"J-John, I-I'm so sorry." Lafayette sniffles. I turn to him, and he looks at me  through teary eyes.

"I did n-not know... I t-thought he knew..." He stutters. I send a small smile his way, tears slipping down my cheeks as well.

"It's fine, Laf. I know you didn't mean to. Um... Let's go... Visit Alex?"

-

Alex's POV

It's been three weeks. Three weeks since I had gone into a coma. Three fucking weeks.

The door opened. Probably Laf, of maybe Herc. Or maybe just another damn nurse. God, those are annoying.

Sniffling. Uh oh.

"Hey, Alex." New voice... John?

My heart monitor sped up. Oh god. 

"Hey, looks like someone is happy to see me!" He chuckled. "Um... Since Laf kinda announced it to my dad, and stuff... I guess I'll tell you. I- Um..." 

I put all my energy in trying to move. Trying to acknowledge John in some way. Then, I could see a beam of white. A small crack in the darkness.

"Well... You see, Alex..." John stuttered. The white got larger. I was able to see the ceiling. Of the hospital.

"I maybe, sorta, kinda... Like.." He stumbled, not realizing that my eyes were open. I could hardly breath. What would he say next? "You"?

"Boys." He whispered. My heart fell slightly, but there was still hope.

The disappointment washed over me and the small crack of white closed again, sleep enveloping me once more.

A/N - Wow, okay, hi! I recently logged back into this account. I found this in the drafts. Since some people want me to update, I'll give you this, but be warned, this is very old and doesn't make much sense. I might redo it and release a better, updated version!