Chapter 2 - Everyone Is A Psychopath These Days

Things picked up pretty fast after we got a phone call about dad. Don't get me wrong, he didn't die or anything.

"Hello?" Mum answered. I couldn't hear the other line and I was curious. I casually went upstairs and picked up the other phone. I started to listen.

"Hello, could I speak to Henley Felicity?" A male voice asked.

"That's me. Who is this?"

"This is Officer Peter from the Police Station. We're sorry to say that your husband, Andrew Felicity, has become one of our suspects for a recent murder near his work." I could hear mother gasp and mutter something. She nearly started crying.

"A suspect? How did that even happen!?"

"He was found wandering, and he was the only one there when we went to check out the scene. We have no evidence that he did it, but he will be questioned and he's currently at our Police Station."

"Oh my god! Can we visit him?"

"Not at the moment, we just needed to inform you of what's going on. Don't worry."

"Oh, please! I need to speak to him! Maybe I can help!"

"Sorry ma'am, the answer is no. Have a nice day."

"Listen! I need to speak to him! I can help! Let me see him! Let me see my husband! Hello!? Hello? Hello.. Please.." The call dropped and I could tell mum was crying. What was happening? Was California just bad luck? I put the phone back and ran downstairs. Mum was crying so hard and Jordan and Legend were trying to comfort her. Jordan saw me and ran over to me.

"What happened to her!?" Jordan demanded. He looked so angry and intimidating. He could snap me like a twig in less than a second. But I knew he wouldn't.

"It's dad. There was murder and dad is the prime suspect." I said, slowly.

"What? This doesn't make any sense!" Jordan was worried. I explained to him everything on the phone call and finally he understood. We ran over to mum.

"Hero, take Legend upstairs!" Jordan exclaimed. I nodded. Thank god that Legend was a good, obedient kid. When he knows something is wrong, he listens and does what he's suppose to do. He was very mature for his age. When mum cried he would always say, 'It's okay, mommy. Everything gets better!'. He was such a nice boy. I took him upstairs and we sat in his room. I knew I should let Jordan handle this one. It's clear he wanted to talk to her. I closed his door and we could barely hear them downstairs. It was almost silent.

"Mommy will be okay." Legend said, reassuringly. I smiled.

"Yeah, she will. She's just going through a hard time."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Of course, Legend! Always! What is it?"

"Where is daddy?" He looked at me, with his curious little face. He knew he couldn't get a full answer.

"Daddy has some work to do. He won't come home for a while. It's a lot of work."

"Oh. I know that's not true but it's okay. You don't have to tell me!"

"I promise I'll tell you when you're older."

"You don't have to tell me at all if it bugs you! Get it!?"

"What?"

"'Bugs you'? And there's a bug right there on the wall? Get it!?" I turn around and sure enough, there was a big tarantula on the wall. I screamed for a second and Legend laughed at me.

"Ew! Legend! Put your pet back where it belongs! Please!" I stayed far away from it. Legend ran to the wall and took the spider in his hands. He held it and sat next to me. I wanted a turtle, or even a parrot. But no, we got a giant spider.