[11] Misunderstandings

"Everyone! Do not move until I order! Three! Two! One!" The uniformed officer crouched behind a broken piece of wood, yelling towards his men. Just a few minutes before, they had been called down to deal with the holding area's massacre. After his final word, his men rushed in, holding their swords in front of them as they darted into the building.

"He's over here!" A man shouted, calling the others over. They surrounded the unconscious man, inspecting him. A wound in his chest had been left untreated, and he had no sword to be seen. "We need to get him to a doctor!"

"Are you insane?! He murdered some of us! Let him bleed out, say it was too late!"

"He didn't do it!"

"You expect me to believe you?!"

"Yes, trust me on this!"

As the two officers argued, a small group of people began to take notice. Realizing the place and seeing the blood and bodies, they rushed in and took in the sight. It was Kenshin, bleeding out on the ground with officers arguing. Megumi and Sano rushed over. They grabbed his and tried to pull him out of the mess while Kaoru and Yahiko waited outside.

"Where are you taking that man?!" An officer shouted at the two.

"I'm a doctor! I'm getting him free so I can help him!" Megumi shouted back, yanking on Sano harder as a mean to move faster.

"You're not going anywhere with that filthy murd..." He began but Sano kicked him the stomach before he could finish. The officer doubled over, and Kenshin's friends ran him out before anyone else could confront them.

Kaoru helped lay him on the ground outside of the holding area while Megumi inspected him. She instinctively took out bandages, which she gave to Yahiko so he could put pressure on the wound.

"Is he breathing?" Kaoru asked as she watched her friends. Officers began to spill out of the building and surrounded them. She knelt down to where he lay and whispered, "Please, Kenshin... Hang on..."

Although from the outside, there was no evidence that Kenshin even heard Kaoru's words, something stirred in him. Something awoke. It was the determination to stay alive.