[12] Roaming his Mind

As the group holed up in a local physician's office, Megumi took advantage of the supplies, and did everything she could to help Kenshin. A knife wound to the chest would have been fatal, had the attacker not know what they were doing.
  This weapon was purposely dug into tissue to avoid hitting arteries and organs. Whoever did this wanted to hurt Kenshin... but not kill him. Frequent check-ins from Kaoru kept Megumi from getting too bored, while Yahiko and Sano exercised in the yard. While the awake touched, felt, and spoke, the asleep were doing something else entirely.
  Kenshin was moving. Not his body, but his mind. He couldn't see, but he could imagine. And he imagined the Battousai. The angry, bloodthirsty monster who roamed his mind and spied on his thoughts. Why wouldn't he? The Battousai and Kenshin were one in the same. Same red hair, same cross-shaped scar, same murderous desire to hunt and ki...
  Kenshin sat up with a start. Megumi was on the other side of the room, and turned when she heard the movement. She watched as he tensed up, seated, and then fell back down, obviously now noticing the wound. He groaned as his back hit the ground. "I'm alive."
  "To be completely honest, I'm as surprised as you are." She replied, the shock of Kenshin's sudden movement wearing off. "You lost a lot of blood... Are you okay?" His attention was lazily focused on the corner of the room, and he was trying to sit up again. She hastily pushed him down. "Perhaps you should keep sleeping."
"If they kill me while I sleep... I'll blame you." He replied as he drifted off once more, leaving Megumi confused, with a slight essence of fear.