Glenmorrag

Mom stifles her own scream as Niall chuckles and puts a hand on her shoulder. "Dunna worry, darlin. 'Tis nothin more than those crazy eyes peacocks," he says pointing. "They love nothing more than to roost in the trees" 

 I follow Niall's gaze and find several blue peacocks settled into their roosts, high in an aged oak. one stretches out its neck and cries out. I swear, it sounds exactly like a woman's scream.

 "Let's go inside" says Niall. He and Mom turn and I follow. As I glance up at the castle a slight movement catches my eye in a small window close to the top of the castle wall. It's high enough that I can't tell if someone is standing up there. I squint, trying to see through the fading light and mist. But I see nothing. 

 The feeling doesn't go away once I'm inside the castle. Is someone behind me? I freeze, still as death, and glance over my shoulder. Nothing. Slowly, I exhale. I'm probably just letting my imagination run wild. 

 Stone walls and black wooden rafters make up the enormous great hall. There are three chandeliers that made of old deer antlers, a fireplace large enough to walk into. Brass sconces light the hall with a blushed amber glow. At the far end is a large staircase, with one of those menacing gargoyles perched on the top of the banister. There are other curiosities I'll have to explore later, things I'll want to see up close, like the tall dusty suit of armor in the corner. 

 I glance around and swallow a lump of apprehension. Like it or not, this is home sweet home. Niall turns to me. "Ivy, your chamber is on the third floor, last door to the right, You've the place to yourself up there, and it's equipped with wifi." He tells Mom, "our chamber is on the second floor, love. Grandmother's is on the first

 At least I'm far away from her. 

 Mom beams at me "Isn't this great Ivy? I already love it, don't you?"

 I give Mom a smile although is feels about as fake as Elizabeth's looked. "Sure, Mom" I say. I don't tell her that my stomach is full of rabid butterflies. Or that I wish Niall would at least show me to my room. I guess he figures I'm mature enough to find on my own. And I can. I will.

 Mom waves. "I'll see you in a bit." Then Niall whisks her off to show her the kitchen and introduce her to the staff. 

  I sigh, sling  my violin case over my shoulder, and start up the stairs. 

 On my way, I get a good look at the ghoulish gargoyles. Their faces, fangled and misshapen.

 The higher I climb, the darker and colder it becomes, and by the time I reach the third floor, only the scant yellowish light from wall sconces shines a path across the hardwood hall. A faded rug stretches the length of the corridor. Against the wall halfway to my room sits a lone straight-backed wooden chair. The silence u

 At the last door on the right, I stop, turn the heavy brass handle, and open the heavy oak. My new room.

 I walk in and gape at a space that's easily as large as our old apartment. My bags have been neatly placed against the wall. A mohogony armoire stands in the far corner, and a small writing desk and lamp sit beside the bed. At the foot of the bed is a medieval-looking wooden chest, covered in etchings and bands of iron.

 I walk over to the massive bed. The mattress comes up to my waist, and the four mahogony posts nearly reach the ceiling. A gray plaid curtaijn made of wool hangs on a wooden rod that circles the bed. I can close myself in when I sleep if I want.

 I guess it's nice to have privacy, alone on the third floor. But then my imagination runs wild again. Someone could slip in at any time and kidnap me. Murder me in my sleep. And no one would even hear me if I screamed....