Revelations

My eyes crack open in the morning. I want to call Logan's name but then I remember he's gone. On his way to the Munros. Fear and excitement course through me. I hope he makes it.

I notice a strange something streaming across my bedroom. I haven't seen it in... days. It looks so foreign. Out of place in the dreariness of Glenmorrag.

Sunlight.

Scrambling from the plaid confinement of my draped bed, I hurry to the picture window. Early-morning mist drifts across the ground, but high above, through the clouds, a break, allowing a golden beam to burn its way straight to me. I press my face to the glass. No warmth - the pane is still freezing. But there is light.

Hurridly, I dress. Jeans. Thermal. Button-up shirt. Boots. I want to be totally ready when Amelia texts me. So much to discuss today. So much hope.

On the second-floor landing, I run into Niall.

"Och, Ivy," he says, and his face is tired. Haggard.

Like he's been up all night. "You poor lasses. If you all have to endure this... morning sickness when you carry a babe, God bless ya."

"Is Mom okay?" I ask, and peer toward the door.

He nods. She's finally getting some rest. I'm on my way to get her more ginger ale in the village." He inclines his head. "Grandmother is with her now."

My stomach drops. That doesn't make me feel any better about Mom's suggestion.

"Walk wi' me, Ivy." Niall says, and I agree. We both head up the corridor. "I know Gran hasna quite taken to you," he says. "She's a dodgy old thing lately." He glances at me as we walk. "Please overlook her bad behavior. She's like an old dog at this point. No teachin' her any new tricks."

I'm not convinced Niall doesn't know just how awful his grandma has been to me. More than awful. Not... right. And I don't have enough evidence to show him.

"It's okay," I say instead. "I just want my mom to get better."

Niall stops me, his hand on my shoulder. "I'd never let anything happen to her."

Looking at the sincerity in my stepdad's eyes, I believe him. I think about how Logan vowed to protect me. And I realize Niall might not be so bad at all.

"Thank you," I say.

"So where are you off to today?" he asks as we continue down the stairs.

"Amelia Munro is picking me up," I say. "Serrus and Emma are going over there, too."

"Aye? What for?"

My mind races. Oh, you know. Looking for ways to bring my dead boyfriend back to life. To figure out how he died, and what's happening to Glenmorrag. "Movies." I shrug. "They have an enormous movie room."

"Have a fun time," he says. "Dunna worry too much about your mum."

"I'll try," I say.

Zipping up my coat, I head outside. I'm a little nervous. Scratch that. I'm a lot nervous. About leaving Mom. About whether or not Logan makes it to the Munros okay. And what's going to happen once I get to the Munro Tower House.

My cell phone vibrates. I grab it. It's Emma.

Did he make it? she asks.

Haven't heard yet, I respond.

Bollocks. Well let me know asap xo

I take a walk to the cliffs. The roar of the sea, paired with the wind, is deafening. The gulls manage to screech above it, though, and I watch them swoop and dive. Glancing over my shoulder, I stare at the castle behind me. It's so... huge.