The Munros

Home from school the next day, I dash up the stairs. Logan is waiting at the second-floor landing. 

 "Hey," I say, grinning.

 "Hey yourself," he responds, mimicking my Charleston drawl.

 "Very funny," I comment as we walk to my room. "I spoke to the headmistress today and the Strings festival entry and I filled out forms, so I'm all set. She wants to hear the piece I'm working on."

 "No doubt she'll fancy it."

 I give him a smile. "Thanks." 

 My heart skips a beat as we stand there, eyes locked. 

 "Okay," I say, and noticed how the grin on Logan's mouth spreads. "Well, let me change out of my monkey suit." I glance down at my school uniform. I had worn the black pants today. 

 Logan chuckles. I'll be right out here," he answers, and leans against the doorjamb. "Although I'd fancy seeing a monkey in a suit." 

 Shaking my head, I shut the door. Just as I cross the room to my armoire, my cell phone vibrates. A text message. It's Serrus. 

         If you're up to it, come to the Munro Tower House today. My cousin Ethan's wife Amelia will be around. 4pm? I've already texted Emma and she can come. 

 Excitedly I respond. 

         Totally up for it. Thanks!

 I start to think about what I want to ask the Munros. Change clothes, Ivy, I remind myself. Once I do, I call to Logan. 

 "Aye?" he asks as he appears. 

 As I power up my laptop, I answer. "That Munro I met at school? He just invited me and Emma to come over and meet his cousins." As I talk, I Google Amelia Landry. Several pages appear, and I choose one that's an interview with a local paper. 

 "What are you doing?" Logan asks. 

 "I'm looking them up online," I answer. "Munro's wife is a famous author." I grin. "I want to be prepared when I meet them."

 "I have seen this machine of yours before," He says, leaning over my shoulder and staring at the screen. "I dunna think I can decipher all the words. My mum had started teaching me how to read, you know. Before."

 I look at Logan. "I'll pick up wher she left off, if you like," I offer. He smiles and nods, and I read out loud from the Highlands Gazette. "'Amelia Landry-Munro is a bestselling American author of multiple works of fiction. She is married to Laird Ethan Arimus Munro of the Munro clan in the Highlands of Scotland.'"

 Amelia's website is listed, and I click the link. It's a beautifully designed site, with lots of scrollwork and castle art. There's a picture of her most recent book, called Enchanted Love. I read the book's description aloud. 

 "'An American girl deep in the Scottish Highlands stumbles upon an enchanted tower house and its enchanted inhabitants, in the form of fourteenth-century Scottish warriors. She fights to help end the curse that has bound them as spirits for hundreds of years - and to keep her heart intact as she falls in love with one of them, a fierce knight.'"

 An American girl in the Scottish Highlands? Spirits? This story hits a bit too close to home.

 "I've gotta get that book," I say, and glance at Logan. He raises one dark eyebrow and grins. 

 "Fanciful stories of love and enchanted knights? I'm no' too sure that will help solve the mystery o' my death."

 I laugh and continue checking out the website. "You never know, Mr. Doubtful." I click on  Amelia's photo gallery. Several selections show her at book signings and conferences. "Wow," I say. "She's really pretty."