Encounters

As Niall drives me to school, I think about what Ian had said, about Logan showing himself only to those who believe in ghosts. When did I begin believing in ghosts? It must be a new development. 

 I look over at Niall, thinking about him growing up at the castle. Seeing Logan as a child, but not believing in spirits anymore. How would he forget something like seeing a ghost? I wonder what Mom would think. I'm not going to worry her with it now, though. But I will tell Emma everything. Maybe she'll be able to help me figure out why Logan Munro is haunting me, and how I can either get him to stop, or send him back to... wherever he came from. 

 However, at school, I can never get Emma alone. Our teachers watch us like hawks so there's no time to whisper or pass notes in class, and during lunch, we're joined by the twins. I decide I'll just text my friend later, or wait to reveal everything when she comes to the castle over the weekend. 

 Mom is the one to pick me up from school, which is a nice surprise. She drives us to the village to pick up fish-and-chips for dinner. She's still getting used to driving on the left side of the road, and the adventures of that finally takes my mind off of Logan for a few minutes. By the time we make it into the village of Glenmorrag, I'm a little dizzy. 

 "Now that was fun, huh?" Mom says, laughing and shaking her head. She glances out the windshield and gasps. "Wow, Ivy - would you look at this place!" 

 We both step out of the Rover, and I take in the sight. 

 The daylight is waning, and Glenmorrag Village looks like something out of a movie. It's still a walled town-ship like it was in medieval tijmes, and we walk through a gaurd post in the old wall. I half expect to see a dirt-smudged thief with his head and arms poking out of the stocks, and people throwing rotted heads of cabbage at him. We walk along the cobbled streets, past a couple of touristy shops, and find the chip shop - a one-room establishment. There's no seats inside, and the two grizzled old ladies behind the counter fry the fish and French fries (aka "the chips"). They squirt vinegar and some weird-looking brown sauce all over them, then wrap them up for us in thick white paper. 

 "Let's eat ours here," Mom suggests. "We'll take Niall his." 

 "Sure," I agree, and we find a place to sit outside, on a concrete bench facing the sea. I stare down at my food, feeling slightly dubious.

 "I promise, sweetheart. You're going to love it." Mom says. She breaks off a piece of fish and pops it into her mouth. I do the same. The crispy fried batter and vinegar, and even the unknown brown sauce, are totally delicious. 

 "You're right," I admit. "It's great." 

 Mom studies me for a moment. "I understand how this is all probably so overwhelming, Ivy," she says seriously. "I love Niall, you know." She brushes her hand over mine. "I never thought I'd find that after your dad. He loved me so... completely. Just like he loved you." I nod, feeling choked up. Mom glances out over the sea for a moment, then turns her gaze to me. "I guess I've been ignoring you lately, and I don't mean to. I haven't been feeling totally well the past few days. I'm sorry, baby." 

 I smile at my mom. Her acknowledgement really does make me feel better. 

 "It's okay, mom," I assure her. "I want you to rest if you're sick, and I'm glad you're happy with Niall." 

 Mom studies me. "Niall hasn't exactly acquired the knack for communicating with a teenage girl yet, I'm afraid. But I know he wants to." She smiles. "He tells me he feels like a fool for not knowing what to say to you." 

 That, too, makes me feel better.

 "Well, I don't exactly know what to say to him, so maybe we can learn together," I answer.