11 Attack

When Maeyune woke that morning in her tiny room, she felt a tremor of angst clamber down her body

When Maeyune woke that morning in her tiny room, she felt a tremor of angst clamber down her body. It took her a long minute to remember she was not in Suolan anymore. Today marked the fourth day away from home and in a land where the energy was not her own. She briefly remembered Reo's calculating stare from the night before.

After a cool shower in the women's washroom, she dressed in a training suit and decided to meet her friends in their room. They were a little farther down the hall from her. The rooms that she passed, she noticed, belonged to higher ranking officers.

The door to her team's room slid open. A frustrated Meera marched out, a towel and small bag swinging in her hands.

"Maybe I should just sew all your holes shut then!" she fumed over her shoulder. She spun around again and ran into Maeyune.

"What's wrong?" Maeyune asked.

But Meera only stormed off, her boots clipping against the concrete floor as she made her way to the showers.

Maeyune entered the room and prepared herself for imminent disaster.

Aerylis was attempting to comfort a weeping Benny on one of the cots, her hand awkwardly patting his shoulder. Clover was pacing back and forth, his face gnarled with anger. Trix sat on the edge of his bed, his chin in his hand and shadows underneath his eyes.

Trix looked as if at any moment he would collapse back onto his bed. "Clover and Benny snore," he muttered.

"It's not as if we do it on purpose!" Clover seethed. "Insults won't fix the problem either!"

They all turned to Maeyune, expecting a quick solution. But she only crossed her arms and arched an eyebrow.

Clover threw his hands up in exasperation.

"Aer," Maeyune said, "is there anything you can do?"

The wind celestial shrugged.

"Uh-uh, no way," Clover said, his brow furrowed. "She killed a man by playing with his lungs. I'm not going to risk it."

Aerylis glared.

"Clover, it's been twelve years," Maeyune stated.

"Don't care," was the staunch reply.

Just do whatever you can, Maeyune said to Aerylis. The tip of Aerylis's lips twitched.

Trix had nodded himself back to sleep. Clover began rummaging through his bag, and Aerylis left Benny and started for the showers.

Maeyune remained where she stood, her forehead pressed into her palm.

And this is only day one of training, she thought.