35 Forest

Eastwood Forest was a spurt of olive against the Great Desert's white sands

Eastwood Forest was a spurt of olive against the Great Desert's white sands. Running along the edge of the forest were several lonely trees, forming a scattered pattern in the desert floor. The forest was large - large enough that it covered most of the horizon.

The gunship that carried Aegis Team hovered past the lone trees and settled just inside the forest. It was far enough to avoid detection from the Wobeck, but it was still hidden from view. Maeyune and her team, along with the newly acquired Jaysek and Deric, disembarked.

As they collected themselves at one side of the gunship, Meera took in a deep, audible breath and glanced at their surroundings.

"Reminds me of home," the water celestial observed, smiling at the memory.

Indeed, seeing trees again reminded Maeyune of the Ursan moon temple and the forest that encompassed it. The environment always brought a sense of escape from the everyday routine of the concrete and steel celestial base. The smell of foliage was a relief to her - the scent of nature a temporary reprieve from their dire task.

Desert shrubbery grew in clumps across the forest floor, but they were not thick enough to hinder passage. Maeyune caught sight of a few brown-feathered birds nestled atop several branches, their heads twitching to the side as their little eyes speculated the visitors. One of them twittered to the other, his voice meshing with the song of wind and leaves.

Maeyune closed her eyes for a moment and pondered on the life beyond the base, beyond fighting, beyond war.

Unbidden, an image of Reo flashed in her head, and her eyes snapped open. Startled, she compelled the vision away. But despite her attempt to ignore it, her mind clung onto the visual remnant of the sun warrior's dark features and the familiar faint smile on his lips. Her heart struck a clean note inside her chest.

Reo had not been smiling at her when she had left the celestial base, so from where had this memory emerged?

Nearby, she heard Clover murmur, "So, the Overlord is somewhere in here, huh?"

Maeyune's thoughts returned to the present.

She had already informed her friends of the mission - the information having been quick and absolute. They were to meet the Beran recon team, who had discovered the Wobeck leader and now had orders to assist Aegis Team in his capture.

Maeyune inhaled another gulp of fresh air, allowing her mind to breathe for a few more seconds, before she turned and acknowledged the gunship pilots waiting for her. She gave them a firm nod.

Once the Overlord was captured and the area cleared for safe rendezvous, the pilots would receive instruction to gather them at the predetermined location.

Maeyune activated the device band that wrapped snug against her left forearm. She had grabbed it moments before leaving the base to help her team navigate Eastwood Forest. Its thin panel illuminated a dim hologram, revealing to her the linear terrain of the forest and a small blue dot inside the landscape. The blue dot belonged to the Beran forest recon team.