27 Heirloom

The Nomenian transport vehicle parked a few feet from the Beran border station

The Nomenian transport vehicle parked a few feet from the Beran border station. The Beran transport aircraft sat patiently on the other side of the fortified gate, waiting for the Moon God incarnate.

A small group of Nomenians wandered about, their prying eyes observing Maeyune and the others as they exited the vehicle. Maeyune read the ignorance on all of their faces. They were unaware of the attacks occurring in their major cities.

Her friends started for the gate. Captain Eldrin stopped her before she could follow after them.

"Seems like this is goodbye for now, Princess," he said, his forearm raised in the Nomenian salute.

Maeyune ignored his jest. "I wish we could stay and help, Captain."

"Missing me already?"

Briefly, she fancied the captain's flirtatious smirk. "On the contrary," she replied.

The captain grinned, unfazed. "Your Sun Prince needs you now," he said. "I believe the Wobeck are a more formidable threat than the Iron Prophet."

Maeyune extended her forearm and bowed. "Thank you for your hospitality, Captain. Should you ever find yourself in Suolan, please know that you are welcome."

When she straightened, she encountered a look of modest excitement. "Are the women like you?" he asked.

Trix, who had stayed behind, cleared his throat. A single, long stride delivered his slim figure to Maeyune's side.

"No, she's one of a kind," he quipped. "But I know the best places-"

"We're leaving, Trix," Maeyune interrupted. She offered the Nomenian captain a final, polite smile before departing for the gate.

Trix waved over his shoulder at the captain, then fell in stride beside her. She knew his words before he spoke them.

"You have to admit, he has some rugged attractiveness to him," he chittered.

"Perhaps."

As the gate slid open, the Beran soldiers and the pilots of the transport craft snapped their heels together and saluted her.

"Good morning, Miss Ereni," one of the pilots greeted. "It's good to see you."

Both pilots turned to walk next to her as she made her way toward the aircraft.

"Good morning," she responded. "Are there updates from Bresnia?"

"Most of the citizens have taken shelter below the city," answered the second pilot. "But we have the attacks contained." He paused for a moment. "Your aunt sends her regards."

Maeyune blinked, remembering her aunt's current whereabouts. She fought the hundredth sigh.

They boarded the craft. Soon after sealing the door's latch, they were off.