Feelings ~ Shikamaru Nara one shot

I was laying down on the crater wall with Shikamaru, staring up at the sky. He was dozing while my heart was pounding in my chest.

"Hey Shikamaru..." I murmured not wanting to wake him if he was asleep.

"Yeah?" He responded quietly.

"Have you-have you ever wondered what it would be like to have a girlfriend?" I wondered. My heart was beating in earnest now as my nerves moved around like butterflies in my stomach. But I already knew what he would say.

"Too troublesome...why?" My heart hammered even faster, I had planned for this now if only I could get the words out of my mouth.

"I figured you would s-say that so what do you think of f-friends wi-with benefits?" I was blushing I knew it and from the way Shikamaru started and looked at me wide eyed I had taken him by surprise.

"Hailey are you-" he swallowed as his cheeks turned pink. I quickly sat up like he had. "Are you saying what I think you're saying?"

"I-uh yeah I guess." I laughed nervously rubbing the back of my head "hehe sorry I guess it's stupid huh?"

I jumped to my feet trying to act normally "Well I guess I'll see you later Shikama-"

A hand grabbed mine and yanked me back down making me land with a painful thump on my butt.

"Ow-"

"Sh-shut up idiot." Shikamaru was blushing furiously but his hand was holding on firmly to mine. I didn't understand it then and wouldn't for a while but that was the start of Shikamaru and my secret friends with benefits relationship.

Two months later

"Hi Hai-"

Shikamaru stopped talking when he saw my face.

"What's up?" He asked sitting down beside me with a sigh.

"Just thinking." I mumbled.

"You know lady Tsunade is looking for you." He said gently. So he knew already. Tears welled in my eyes but I held them back. Were just friends in his eyes if I was to start crying and whining now he'd be upset and wouldn't understand it. I may love him but were just friends friends with benefits-without sex anyway. It was how I had planned it all along, even if it hurts I can't let it show because we aren't dating, were not...together.

"So you've heard?" I asked quietly.

"Yeah...four months working in Suna with Kankuro right?" He asked. I nodded resting my chin on my knees. When I glanced at Shikamaru he had a scowl upon his face.

"You alright?" I asked. He started then forced a smile.

"Yeah fine just thinking. It's dangerous out right now especially with Madara out there so be careful ok?"

It was sweet to see him worried and it brought a smile to my face.

"I will be." I assured him.

"Yeah just like you were careful on our mission to see that bridge builder Ten-"

"SHUT UP!" I cried smacking him before he could finish. During that mission I had fallen out of the boat and would have been drowned by a hidden mist ninja had Shikamaru and Azuma sensei not stepped in.

"I'm just saying you really need to pay more attention you're so troublesome."

For the next hour as we headed back to the village Shikamaru continued to give me advice and reminders that would 'help' me on my mission. "-the dark green cacti with red flowers are not edible neither is the water inside, however the light green ones with the pink flowers are so if you get stranded or something you need to remember that. Oh and be careful around Kankuro he's a real playboy and he'll definitely try to get in your pants if you're not careful. Maybe you should keep a knife with you just in case he-"