cuatro

By the end of the week, I came to the realization that I was not leaving anytime soon. Between having no contact with my family and able to leave without Rosen knowing, I was stopped.

The breeze flew past me, letting my hair blow past my face. Staring out to the forest in front of me, I saw the people who live in this little town laugh together. They all look so happy with each other's company.

I wondered to myself as I studied these people if Rosen had done to them what he did to me. Taking them from their families and to be never heard from again. I wondered if my mother was panicking, missing me. I wondered about my friends who abandoned me that night. Surely they are missing me, scared for me.

"Luna, are you okay?"

My thoughts disappeared hearing a young girl and her pulling on my arm.

"Lacy, please leave her alone!" I looked up from the girl to see a woman no older than twenty running towards us. "My apologies, my daughter is only young."

"Luna?" I asked the young mother.

"Why yes, you are the Alpha's mate. That's is what we call you." The young mother furrowed her eyebrows at me. "You are Alpha Rosen's mate, correct?"

A mate is a friend. You're my friend.

Rosen's voice echoed in my head, repeating what he told me almost five days ago.

"Well yes, I am his friend."

The mother and even her daughter looked at me like I was crazy. The young mother pushed her daughter behind her, motioning for her to run off to where they came from. She always seemed to fear me. The young mother's eyes danced from one of my eyes to the other, fear slowly rising in them.

"Miss, do you know what we are?"

"Well yeah, you're people. Like me." The woman's eyes widened as she took multiple steps back.

"You're one of them." She whispered, more so to herself than to me. She took off, sprinting away from where I was stood. Other civilians watched the encounter between myself and the mother. They all looked back from the woman to me before all murmuring to themselves, fearing me.

But why would they fear me? I have nothing to be scared of.

The gazes of the people were stuck on me, burning my body. The embarrassment rose in my body as I felt tears water in my eyes. The people kept looking at me, whispering amongst themselves.

Turning in my spot I ran into where I was staying. I slammed the door shut behind me, trying to block their faces and fear in the mother's eyes out of my view.

"Evelyn? Is that you?" I heard Rosen's voice from a hallway beside me. Still having quite a distance between us, I pushed myself off the door and ran down the opposite hallway to him.

The tears ran down my face, blurring my vision. My heart was thumping loudly, I thought Rosen might have been able to hear it from his distance.

"Evelyn!" Rosen's footsteps were coming closer to me, his ability to run so fast and keep up with me was inhumane. It was as if he had a speed boast, an ability like no human before.

I jumped into a room, slammed the door shut before locking it. Looking around the room, I saw I ran into Rosen's study and right next to the door was a long cabinet. Hoping behind it, I quickly began to push it in front of the door. My weak muscles moved it slowly but I had time as Rosen had only just begun to try and open the door as well as bang on it.

"Evelyn, open the door!"

I jumped from the loud roar Rosen had released from his own mouth. That was definitely not human. Slowly stepping back from the door, the door shook and almost breaking down.