diez

"Reports on the twenty-two-year-old who has been missing from Washington for over four months now still has not been found. Evelyn White was allegedly kidnapped from her holiday home she had been staying without any knowledge of friends or family. If anyone has any information, it is advised for you to contact the police." 

"Hey darl, I know it's sad what happened to that poor girl but we have to get back to work. These tables aren't going to serve themselves, no matter how much we want them to."

I nodded at my boss before grabbing my notebook and pen. Tightening my dyed ponytail, I placed a smile on my face. I walked out into the diner, walking up to a table full of children and two couples of adults.

"Hey there, I'm Rose and I will be your server for today. Can I start you on any drinks?"

°°°

Four months of torture. Four months of loneliness. Four months of managing to build myself up and be a stronger person. Not soon after I ran off from Rosen's, I found a small town where I was helped by an elderly couple. They let me stay with them until I was up on my feet again with a job and steady income. They even asked me to stay with them but I promised I would move out close by them. 

John and Michelle were their names. Sweetest people I had ever met and John made the sweetest apple pies ever.

"Hun is that our lady at the door!" I heard Michelle call from the kitchen. John pulled me in for a hug, patting my back. When he pulled away, his nails dug into my arms as he looked at my face with a frown. 

"Lord, I didn't realise your nails were so long Johnny boy. You're going to scratch someone with those."

"Have you been eating? You look like you've lost weight since we last saw you." 

"Yes, I've just been busy working two jobs."

John frowned at me before pulling on my arm into the kitchen. His nails still dug into me, reminding me briefly of Rosen. The firm grip, making sure I couldn't run off and away from him. I could feel my heart aching at the thought of him not caring about my disappearance. 

John's tight grip broke me from my trance as they sharply dug into my arms more. I let out a small squeak before John let go and looked into my eyes. 

"Sorry, I got a bit carried away." I smiled at him, knowing he was unintentionally hurting me. We walked side by side into the kitchen to meet Michelle who was busying herself away waiting with some dishes from my favourite pie. 

"Hi hun, we've missed-" She stopped talking as she looked at me. Just as her husband did, she frowned looking at my appearance, "Why are you so pale? Have you not been eating much again? Young lady, must I tell you this every time you're here?"

I let out a small laugh at Michelle before walking over to hug her. Wrapping my arms around her, I rested my chin on her shoulder. Still frowning, she paid attention to the pie rather than me.

"Michelle, I have been busy and I have been eating, just not sleeping much."

She looked at me, her bright green eyes twinkled as the sunset light brushed her face gently. Her eyes reminded me of Rosen. It was like I could never escape him, no matter where I met he followed. Michelle smiled brightly at me before turning around and pulling me in for a hug.

"I'll make some tea." I let out a small laugh as she popped her way over to the stove where the kettle was kept. I moved to the other side of the benchtop and sat down on the stool, admiring the elderly couple. It was clear they truly loved each other.

The small banter, the teasing and love radiated from them. They laughed and had fun together without a worry in the world. Laughter ran throughout the kitchen as John snuck up behind Michelle and began tickling her.