nueve

I felt the bed dip next to me. Rough fingers gently caressed my forehead. Moving down, running their fingers across my cheek, I felt myself stiffen.

"Evelyn, please open your eyes."

My pulse froze, blood running cold. I felt myself stop breathing and my heart began racing at the feeling of him next to me. 

"Please, talk to me." 

My breathing was erratic and heartbeat sped up. Without opening my eyes, I could feel him watching me. His icy stare, sending goosebumps on my skin.  

"I know you had a nightmare, I was with you the whole night. Just please, wake up and talk to me."

Hearing footsteps move away from me, a door opened yet did not close. I stayed still, trying to control my breathing. Fingers twitched under the silky soft sheets, itching to push myself up and grab his attention. 

I heard his sigh once more, gently prying one eye open. 

"I'm sorry," he whispered before letting a small tear slip down his cheek. Closing the door behind him, I let out a small whimper. 

Nightmare?

°°°

It was almost sunset by the time I had woken up completely. Slowly, I moved around the bed to see it was just myself occupying the room. 

The blinds behind the bed were closed, keeping the room dark and silent as if I was hiding from the world. But then again, I was. Isolating myself from everyone and everything, not wanting to be seen or heard from. 

Moving so I was sitting up, my back lightly touched the bed frame. Slowly, I moved my head to look around the room taking in every detail. I was not in our previous room but the guest room in the house I was staying in. The room had plain walls, simple brown furniture and wooden floors. It was a basic room.

I whimpered at the thought of him and what he did or what I thought he had done. If it was a nightmare, it felt so real. The touches, the pain all of it. The anger seething from him, I could see the hatred in my mind as if I was looking at it all over again. 

His eyes were different. Unlike his wolf eyes which were bright red compared to his green eyes, these were pitch black. Covering his entire eye rather than just the iris. It was like he wasn't in control.

The fangs or canines that descended were a lot sharper and longer than when I saw him in wolf form. He had no claws, but maybe werewolves don't get claws when still human. 

My head spun. The room blurring within my vision. Was it Rosen? Or was it simply a misunderstanding? He promised to never hurt me, does he always break his promises? 

All I know is, I have to protect myself. I won't let this happen. Not again. 

°°°

"No sir, she hasn't left her room at all yet. She hasn't eaten either, she's just been leaving the plates where we've put them each day."

A thunderous roar shook the house, small squeals from children could be heard but I wasn't paying attention to them, but the angry man downstairs. 

"She needs to eat!"

"Alpha, we know this. But there isn't anything we can do." The man explained slowly, much softer than before. I leaned next to the railing on the stairs, sitting on the second from the top step in order to hear them from the kitchen. 

"You need to make sure there is something you can do! I don't want her to die!" Rosen shouted but much less loud compared to before.

"Alpha, please. We're doing all we can." This was a lady rather than the man from before. She didn't sound young but not elderly.