Chapter 7

So here it is guys, Chapter 7! Oh boy, this chapter was one of the most difficult with our  two completely different schedules we still managed to overcome it, so thank you AgentBelle-97 for keeping me sane.

Remember to let us know what you think!

****
Jay clenched his jaw, his eyes hard as he shifted his weight to one foot, ready to tackle Callum. His mind was clouded with the rage he felt and he knew he needed to get rid of it, preferably take it out on Callum. Callum smirked, watching Jay's rigid body, and knowing he had pissed his former lieutenant off.

Erin kept her gaze locked on Jay, knowing that he was conflicted, but she knew more than anyone how much his daughter meant to him. If he chose to save Sophia, Erin couldn't blame him. Well, obviously she could not blame him, she'd be dead. And saving Sophia would be the right choice, and anybody who couldn't see that would be really damn stupid. Erin didn't WANT to die, she just knew that she would never want to be in Jay's position. She knew that if she were in his place, and had to choose between his life and Sophia's, he would want her to choose Sophia's life over his. Because that was the kind of man Jay Halstead was. He would sacrifice his life, if it meant saving those he loved. And as a father, his number one priority would undoubtedly be Sophia. And even just hoping that he would not choose would be unfair, because Sophia deserved to live a long life, and be happy. She was only 5, but she was an angel, and she deserved to be protected and loved and she definitely deserved to live. Erin could not blame Jay. Instead she felt sad that he was put in such a position where he was being forced to choose.

Jay, on the other hand, was NOT going to let his daughter or his girlfriend die. He needed to find a way to save them both, even if that meant sacrificing his own life so they could live. And Jay decided, he was going to do just that.

Without even so much as a warning, in lightning flash, Jay, despite his broken ribs, lunged right at Callum, his fist punching one of the guns out of Callum's hands. The gun fell and Jay kicked it away, his fist instantly connecting with Callum's jaw. At the same time, Erin swung her leg back and knocked Callum onto his back, ducking as he fell. As he fell, his finger pulled on the trigger and a shot was fired.

Jay swung his fist again. The skin on his knuckles broke as he connected with Callum's nose, which cracked. Blood spilled out from the former ranger's nose but Jay was merciless.

Callum's grip on the gun never loosened and he brought the butt of the gun and smacked it brutally against Jay's head, effectively breaking open the skin right above his left eyebrow. Blood ran down Jay's head as he was momentarily dazed from the vicious blow. Erin rolled onto her back and swung her legs, the heels of her boots connecting with Callum's ribs, causing him to let out a grunt of pain, the wind knocked out of him for a minute. Jay regained his bearings and grabbed Callum by the collar.

"What do you want from me?" Jay demanded, his voice low and menacing.

Callum looked into Jay's eyes. "You were my commanding officer," he spat. "And you left me in the hands of the insurgents...to die. To be tortured...I will NEVER forgive you, Halstead." With that, Callum reared the hand holding the gun and viciously hit Jay's ribs with the butt of the gun.

Once again, Jay felt like his entire body was on fire and he had no choice but to release his grip on Callum's collar. The man managed to get up, and he left, but not before sending one last kick to Jay's ribs. Jay collapsed, in pain, and he felt the throbbing in his head worsen.