Chapter I-Tables Have Turned

Draco decided he'd had enough of his fellow Slytherin for the time being. He was sick of the shallow conversations, the automatic judgment, the expectations. He didn't even care if Snape owled his father. The next question becomes where would he actually sit? The Hufflepuffs couldn't stand him. He didn't think he could sit through an entire meal of Luna Lovegood's bizarre conversation either. He figured that left Potter and the Gryffindors.

"Draco, it's time to go down and eat," he heard Goyle call.

"Go on without me. I'll be down in a minute," He called back. Sometimes, it's like he and Crabbe have no minds of their own. It was fun to boss them around at first, but now it's just tiresome, Draco thought. Since it was Saturday, he threw on a plain shirt, black jeans, his leather jacket, and some canvas shoes. He knew his father wouldn't approve of such a casual look, but then again his father isn't there. He decided against styling his hair.

He finally walked into the Great Hall, ignoring Crabbe and Goyle's expectant gazes. He saw the mop of unruly dark hair he was looking for. He slid into the bench beside him, forcing Ron to move over.

"Oi! What's the big idea, Malfoy?" Ron seems displeased at his displacement.

"I'm eating breakfast. Figured that was obvious." He tried to keep his voice level like he belonged there.

"Well, why don't you eat at the Slytherin table, where you belong?" Harry was watching them thoughtfully while Hermione peered over her morning edition of the Prophet.

"Well, Weasley, I've come to find the shallow conversation quite insufferable. I mean would you want to sit with that?" He gestured to a confused Crabbe and Goyle and a seething Pansy.

"So you decide to force yourself into my seat?" Ron was definitely not letting his arrival drop.

"Ron, let it be. He isn't hurting anyone. Anyway, I was gonna go talk to him anyway about our Potions project." Harry was helping Draco. This is new, the latter thought.

"So, Draco," he began, using his given name, "what potion do you want to do our assignment on? I was thinking Draught of the Living Dead."

"Umm..." Draco began, collecting himself, "Yeah that's fine by me. But the potion is called Draught of Living Death. Misnaming the potion, Snape will surely deduct points."

"Oh, thanks."

"Harry, are you sure you want to brew that potion?" Hermione questioned. "That's a N.E.W.T. level potion." Hermione took an interest in the boys' conversation. Ron had decided to ignore Draco by engaging with Seamus and Neville, not that Draco minded. The other Gryffindors had also moved on while Hermione and Harry continued their discussion of the potion.

"Well, Granger-" Draco decided to join the conversation.

"Hermione, please," she corrected.

"Hermione, then, if you crush the beans with the side of the blade, you get more juices per bean and adding an extra helps with the color."

"But that's not what the recipe says though." She sounded upset that Draco would dare to diverge from the written recipe.

"Recipes can be improved upon," is all he supplied her with.

"He has a point, Hermione." Harry rose to Draco's defense again.

"Well it's your fail," she mumbled as she gets up and leaves to Hall.

"Why are you so decent to me, Potter?"

"Because, Draco, we all deserve a second chance. We all grow, well except maybe Ron here."

"Oi! I heard that!" Ron sounded affronted.

Harry mumbled something about how he was meant to.

"We can either work on our project in the library or out by the lake." Draco realized he was talking to him as Harry asked which Draco would prefer.

Draco chose the lake, as they were less likely to be bothered. He spent the rest of his Saturday with Harry, Hermione joining them later. It wasn't as bad as he used to imagine it would be. It was pleasant if you ignored the glares from the Slytherins and Ron, Draco decided. The rest of Gryffindor didn't seem to care, so he also ate with them the rest of the day.

Finally, it was curfew, and Draco didn't have a choice but to return to the Slytherin dungeons.
================================
I'll try to avoid authors notes but just wanted to say hope you enjoy this. Feel free to leave feedback. I apologize for any technical errors. I also do not own these characters. They are the property of JK Rowling.