Chapter II-The Dreaded

"What the hell was that, Draco?" Pansy's voice was quite shrill. Not in the mood, Draco just waved her off. Apparently, that made it worse.

"You can't just ignore me! Ignore us! We are your housemates, your friends! And you ditch us! For what, huh? Potter and his mudblood of a girlfriend?"

"First of all," Draco deigned to answer, "Hermione is Not bad once you get to know her. And neither is Harry. And spending one day with them was more interesting than all of the last year with you lot. I'm sick of all of this. Sick of having to act like a guy because of our parents' political choice. Because we are Slytherin. All this hatred, all this shallow stupidity and pettiness and for what? Maybe this is why everyone hates us. Haven't you wondered why we get less first years every sorting ceremony?" He looked around the common room, knowing everyone was watching. No one answered. Pansy was the only one who would meet his gaze. "That's what I thought." He huffed and pushed himself up the stairs and fell into bed fully dressed.

"I understand, Draco," He heard Goyle whisper as he rolled over and fell asleep.

~*~

Draco woke up late the next day, having tossed and turned all night. Having missed breakfast, he just headed straight to the library, still in yesterday's clothes.

"Hey, Draco." The blond snapped his head up to see who startled him. "I figured I could find you here. Care to join us at the Three Broomsticks?"

"I don't want to impose."

"Well, since I'm inviting you, it's not an imposition. Now come on," Harry reaches down to help Draco up.

That lazy Sunday afternoon was the best. It felt nice to be able to relax without worrying about his image. They spent the whole afternoon in Hogsmeade, visiting every shop, laughing, and just enjoying the company of the trio they'd become.

The bliss was soon to end though. When they returned to the castle, the Slytherin found a letter from his father;

Draco,
I heard from Severus that you've stopped spending time with your fellow Slytherins. I must say, I'm disappointed. Please remember, you are a Malfoy. Your mother sends her love.
-L.A.M.

Short, to the point, and devoid of emotion. This was just a typical letter from Lucius. He didn't even seem genuinely upset, just going through the motions of being a Malfoy. Draco sauntered to dinner and sat with Harry and Hermione again. They motion to his left hand with a questioning look. Realizing he had forgotten to leave the letter in his room, Draco explained that it was a letter from his father.

"Everything is fine." For now.