A Coincidence

© 2017 D.S. Little All rights reserved. No portion of this book may be reproduced in any form without permission from the author, except as permitted by U.S. Copyright law.

************

Fatima

      I couldn't believe that I was already three months into my senior year! I had finished my interviews with John Hopkins and UNC and was waiting to hear if I got accepted or not. Although I was excited about my future professional plans, I wasn't as secure about things in my personal life.

      After his drunk tirade two weeks before, KeVon came back to my apartment that next day to apologize. We spent the day together making up. Then we turned around and spent the rest of the week fighting over little things all over again. It was a cycle that I was getting tired of.

       I didn't want to spend the rest of my senior year fighting back and forth with KeVon. If we couldn't make it work while we lived so close to each other, how were we going to survive if I was in Baltimore or Chapel Hill? With KeVon's own graduation taking place that next month. I wanted us to finally get back on the same page or go our separate ways.

       I hated to admit it, but @JarenvsJericho's words were also floating in my mind, a man who is always picking fights is not happy with what he has. I wanted to tell myself that this wasn't the case between us. I wanted to believe that KeVon was just stressed with his business and upcoming graduation but the signs were there that something was wrong.

       After I finished with my classes for the day, I called him to tell him that we needed to talk. He agreed and told me to stop by the gym. He and his partner, Miles Thurmond, had been approved for a small business loan and were making plans to open up their own gym in the spring. In the meantime, they were still working out of Anytime Fitness.

       I pulled up to the gym feeling hopeful about seeing him. When I walked inside, I didn't see him right away. I looked around the gym until I eventually found him towards the back in the weight area working out with a blonde who looked like she didn't even need a trainer. She was just as fit as he was!

         KeVon was laughing and joking around with the woman who was lying on her stomach on a machine while lifting one of her legs behind her in the air. When he saw me, he straightened up and walked towards me.

        "Hey baby." He said kissing me on the cheek. "I thought we were meeting at the crib later on?"

       I pulled up my phone and began to re-read his text out loud. "Sounds good come by the gym after class." I read then looked back at him.

       He checked his watch and looked back at the woman who was staring at him through the mirror as if she was waiting on him to hurry up.

       I turned my head sideways. "Is there a problem?"

       "I have to finish up with this client and then I have another one coming after her." He said scanning what I had on. "If you were dressed I would have been able to work you out, too."

        "It's cool. I got some work to do, so I can just wait for you at the house." I told him.

        "It's gonna be awhile."

       "That's fine. I have a lot of studying to do anyways." I nodded.

        "Why don't I come through when I'm done?"

        "Why does it seem like you don't want me at your place?" I asked him skeptically.

        "I didn't say that. I just don't want you waiting around for me." He said rubbing my lower back while walking me towards the door of the gym. When we reached my car he crossed his arms, then rubbed a hand down his face.