Write About It

© 2017 D.S. Little All rights reserved. No portion of this book may be reproduced in any form without permission from the author, except as permitted by U.S. Copyright law.

************

Jericho

"Yea, that verse was crazy!" I emphasized after watching Kendrick spit his verse in the booth.

He and I were two lyrical animals pushing each other in the studio. I couldn't get enough of the energy that was in the air being in the studio with him. It was just the two of us and my engineer Brendan. We didn't want the song getting leaked and we wanted the process to be as raw as possible so we wanted it that way.

Our record companies and managers had worked out most of the important details and it had been decided that we would tour together. I would open the show, he would close. I wasn't the type of artist who cared about where I was in the line-up, as long as I was performing and making money in the process. I lived to be on that stage and connecting with my fans.

Since the details were close to being finalized in order to promote the tour we decided to get in the studio together and work on a song. We weren't going to release it until after the holidays. With Christmas approaching in two weeks I was between spending time with my mom and sister in Jersey or with Brandy and her family in Detroit. She was upset with me because I didn't want to go to her movie premiere in January but I just didn't want our relationship to be public like that. Although I was now considered a celebrity, I liked keeping my business my business. I didn't care that it wasn't popular to be private like that anymore, but this is who I was and what had drawn her to me.

My compromise was that I would spend the holidays with her. visiting both of our families but she complained about scheduling conflicts on her part. I believed it was her way to act out because she wasn't getting her way in this movie premier argument. So at the moment things were a toss-up as to what my plans would be. After the holidays, I was going to have to hit the ground running. The contract for the tour was supposed to be completed and I was going to start preparing for my part of the show as well as the release of my whole album.

My attention went back to where I was when I saw Kendrick come out of the booth. We chopped it up for a little while about the tour and our albums. I was planning to drop my entire album in March and he was dropping his in April. We were gonna head out on our US tour in May and crisscross the country until October.

Kendrick had to get going because he had interviews lined up all day, so I was left in the studio alone with my engineer Brendan. It was close to two and we wanted to add some things to the track to make it sound fuller. We wanted this song to launch the announcement of our joint tour so it had to be right. After we made changes we were going to send it to Kendrick to listen to. When things died down I leaned back in my chair and started answering some new messages that crossed my phone. Then my thoughts went to Yara and the fact she hadn't posted anything in almost two weeks. I opened the app and sent her a message.

Me: everything good

I found myself thinking about Yara more and more, wanting to know who she really was. During our conversations she came off as the female version of me and I had never met a girl like that before. So I couldn't help but to want to know more. Since I was with Brandy, I held my curiosity at bay though because I didn't believe in that cheating shit. You were either in a relationship or you got out of it. There was no in-between to me. I was sifting through business emails when a notification came up on my personal phone.