Switches and Returns

Note: So Towards the end there's a video, if possible please listen to the song as you read! It'll add to the experience and feeling of the scene:) 

Also: I just unpublished and re-published, so if you got the notification and clicked again--it's because I did a lot of editing, more than the usual grammar and syntax checks. (I really should not publish before looking it over as I always get new ideas when I re-read).

--

"God damn...a D..." Nadine muttered as she saw her grade on her laptop screen.

As part of her school requirements, she needed to to complete a math course. Due to having put it off for so long and because of her placement (a fluke testing, as she'd argue) and the lower level classes being filled up, she got stuck in Calculus I. She pleaded her case to her advisor, stressing that she was no STEM person. Chemistry itself was quite the challenge and she recalled crying after every lab due to the stress it brought.

The first exam she managed a B, the second exam was a C, and the third exam ended up being an F. The lowest of the four exams would be dropped, but considering she had an F already, she could not afford to fail or even get a D. Not to mention she still had the final exam to stress about.

"Why the hell did they put me here," she complained once more as she sat up and grabbed her calculator. The next exam was tomorrow and she was not at all prepared. The added stress from having Kath around and Diego did not help either.

She grabbed her pen and began writing out the first problem."God..." she let out as she scratched out parts of the problem, realizing she had begun it wrong. As she began getting absorbed into the problem, the fire alarm downstairs suddenly rang.

Nadine gasped and fell off the bed as a result of the sudden sound. "Ouch..." she muttered as she rubbed a hand over her head and stood back up, dusting her ripped jeans.

Had it been last week, or even a couple days back, she would've been frightened as to where the source originated from. Now, she had a strong feeling as there was one other person in the house.

"Kath!" Nadine yelled as she slammed her door and ran down the stairs.

What the fuck did she do now? Nadine thought.

Nadine sniffed the area and caught the scent of smoke and something burning. She walked into the kitchen and her eyes widened at the scene.

Kath's hair was up in a ponytail and she wore an old apron. She was pushing herself away from the stove and up against the sink. A spatula was held up to shield her face as she tried to duck away from the fire.

Nadine rolled her eyes and immediately unhooked the fire extinguisher before spraying it across the flame.

Kath lowered her arms and let out a nervous laugh. "Ah...sorry..." she said, giving Nadine an appreciative, slight grin.

Nadine crossed her arms and glared in response. "What the hell were you doing?!"

Kath stuck her arm in front to show her the spatula. "I was trying to cook..I just..didn't know how to use this, this isn't what I'm used to," she explained, averting her eyes downward as her face flushed. She was quite embarrassed to have bothered Nadine rather than help as she had promised.

Nadine let out a breath. "I never said you could cook, and if you really wanted you should've asked me so I could've shown you how to use the stove," Nadine grumbled as she swiveled and glanced at the burned piece of toast.

"I...wanted to surprise you and I thought I would be able to figure it out...sorry.." Kath apologized as she slowly stepped closer to Nadine, eyeing the burnt toast and ruined pan.