Chapter 4: Into The Fire.

The next morning I thanked the tavern owner for her hospitality and made my way to leave. I figured it would be wise to move on sooner rather than later.
My head was a little fuzzy from the after effects of all the alcohol. I still had no feeling about the grounder I had killed, it was black and white to me. If you live a certain way sooner or later the repercussions of your life were bound to catch up to you. I had no doubt that this would also apply to the choices I was also making.
As I saddled my horse in preparation to leave, one of the grounders from the tavern the previous night approached me. I was wary of his intentions as he spoke. "Quite a show you put on last night."
I glared over at him. He was a tall slender man with Trikru facial tattoos. I continued to focus on my horse as I relplied, "It wasn't done for effect. He got what he deserved." The grounder shook his head at me, "You understand a man like that doesn't operate alone." Leaving this village had become my priority, I didnt need some stranger holding me back. "I fail to see how that is any of my business."
A sigh left his mouth as he replied, "if you kick a hornets nest more than one hornet will attack. As soon as you leave here his companions will return, kill the woman who owns the tavern, take her property and then they'll come for you!" And there it was in a heart beat, the repercussions of my actions coming back on me. What could I do, the deed was done. "let the Commanders guards deal with it."
I had no idea just how pointless my words were to the man.
"The Commander is dead. Chaos has come to our villages. There are no warriors here any more, not since Skaikru massacred most of them. Help us to get our honour back."
There was a pang of guilt at the mention of Skaikru. I dont know if it was guilt or a sense of justice that spurred my next move, but I had a monster growing in my heart and that monster craved blood. "Tell me where they are!"

There was no point in delaying the inevitable

There was no point in delaying the inevitable. I had promised the grounder I would take care of the problematic individuals, partly because I knew Indra would expect it of me but also because the man had sworn by helping his people I would never have to worry about food or shelter in this region again. It may have seemed selfish to expect someting in return for my help, but in this solo existence I now follow, survival is key.
Seven men I had to kill. A difficult endeavour for sure, but not impossible. They were situated about five miles from the villiage in an old log cabin. I used my journey there to plan strategy and to clear my head.
About a mile from the cabin I tethered my horse and continued on foot to avoid detection. After a short time the cabin became clear in my view. I held back until nightfall,positioning myself in a tree to gain a better vantage point.
As the sun lowered past the tree line, the sky darkened and the silver glow of the moon illuminated the forest. I didnt feel any fear as I waited there, maybe that was a mistake. Before I was allowed to ponder on my thoughts any longer, five of the grounders returned to the cabin. They unchained the front door and entered it. I was still missing two.
I let some time pass, but I couldnt wait any longer, five was better than none. I lowered myself from the tree and cautiously approached my targets. I could almost feel death walking beside me that night, foolishly I enjoyed its company.

From my position I could hear tge grounders speaking of how well the extortion business was going for them, the threats and the beatings seemed like all part of the fun. They made me sick to my stomach. No honour deserved no mercy. They also spoke of their missing comrade and his whereabouts. I had some satisfaction in knowing I'd ended his life the evening before.
I moved around the perimeter of the cabin checking for other exist points, there were none. That made what I was about to do so much easier. I crouched by the front door and removed a bottle of that alcohol spirit I had left over from the tavern. After taking a swig for courage I pushed an alcohol soaked rag into the top of it.
Using two pieces of flint I carefully timed when to strike them together with the raucous laughter of the grounders so they wouldnt hear the clicks. In no time a spark hit the rag and it began to smoulder. A few blows of air saw it set alight, it was now or never.
I stood up and kicked the door open. The men inside were stunned. They looked at me in shock, this girl standing before them, molotov in hand. I smirked at them as I threw the bottle at their feet. It smashed sending flames up their bodies and across the room. I uttered no words, I just watched them burn.
Turning to leave, I slammed the door, chaining it shut. Walking away from that burning cabin I could hear the screams and the sound of fire crackling in the night.
As I reached the edge of the trees something hit me so hard across the side of my face it knocked me to the ground. My vision blurred as I felt my mouth fill with blood. I looked up to see two men standing above me and it was in that moment I began to say goodbye to the world.

I felt my body lift as one of the grounders pulled me up and dragged me over to a tree, throwing my body against it

A fit of rage took over him as he repeatedly beat his fists against my body. Darkness began to envelop me. Just as my conciseness began to fade, the other grounder pulled him away. He held my sheathed sword in one hand and propped me up with the other.
Out of nowhere he yelled in my face, "WHERE'S MY BROTHER?" I had no energy to answer. Infuriated, he struck me across the face, "I wont ask you again, girl!"
I spat blood on the ground and answered him, "If you're talking about the asshole with the scars on his face he's dead." My words did nothing but provide me with another onslaught of beatings.
I took every punch, every spark of pain, I bided my time until he slowed his strikes and thats when I took a chance. Energy surged in my broken body as I grabbed the handle of my sword and kicked him square in the stomach. It knocked him away, unsheathing my sword at the same time. I slashed the blade across his face, blinding him. The second grounder charged at me with a knife, but my reaction time was too slow. I felt the blade sink into the side of my body. Pushing away from him I managed to gain enough space to run my sword into his stomach. He dropped to the ground.
I approached the remaining man who was on his knees, cupping his bleeding face in his hands. I grabbed him by the hair and pulled back his head, "Jus drein, jus daun!"
The blade opened up his throat, ending his life and my mission. As the flames from the cabin still raged, I made my way back into the woods, blood was streaming from my body. Each step became harder and harder until I finally dropped to the ground, unable to move.