Chapter 43

Had she worn shoes, the water would have drenched them. With the last of her energy, she wrapped a concealment spell around her and dropped to the edge of the river. She could not allow anyone to find her yet. Least of all Thomas. She sat outside the shield, with no energy to defend herself.

Twinkling lights drew her attention to the waterfall. One came rushing towards her in the water. She had assumed the algae gave the water it's color, but a luminescent worm floated past her. Where there was one, there were others.

Drawn to the lights, she made her slow progress to the gushing water. At one point, the bottom fell away, dunking her under water. Now soaked and tired, she moved along the rocks to edge behind the waterfall. She did not have to go far, nor could she if the cave sat deeper along the wall. The glowing green worms offered all the light she needed to find a ledge to lay on. She was out as soon as her head settled on the rock.

Angelique woke with a start. She had heard a voice. Only Cook and Logan knew the location of the waterfall. She lay staring at the wriggling worms for a while and then closed her eyes again. She did not feel the cold while she slept and could not risk making a fire. Theoretically, she knew how, but never needed to attempt it. In an age of lighters and matches, no one rubbed sticks together anymore. 

The voice came again, this time clearer. "You are an idiot."

First she thought it was the mothers, but they always spoke together. This voice, though feminine, did not sound like them, yet echoed in her mind.

"That's because I am you and you are me. You are going to get us killed."

Talking to herself never seemed like a safe bet. Anyone overhearing would add one more label to her growing list. After a much needed nap, without nightmares, she had to agree with her wolf, though. Had she worn the necklace her aunt left to her, she would have dealt with the situation in a calmer manner. She left it in the bathroom with the ring.

The offensive contraption was a fraud. Humans used it to show their love to each other. Wolves clearly had different views on symbols. A bite signified a bond between mates. The mere idea of ripping into someone's flesh, Logan's flesh, to mar something perfect, sickened her. However, he was not perfect. Nor was she.

If she allowed herself to think about it, she behaved abominably. Any other time, she would have given him a chance to speak. Perhaps she did let her witchy way go to her head. Since she arrived, she concentrated on learning to become a witch, but she was the wolf queen. Yet she never spared a moment of her time learning to be a wolf. 

Thinking about everything she handled wrong made guilt swirl in her stomach. She could write it off to the fact she had not eaten since she woke that morning, but she had to face the truth. She went an entire day without eating at the Harlows, and then again had nothing more than a scone for breakfast when Ben came to save her. No. She felt guilty about her actions. Only a time machine could remedy her actions.

She sat up and sighed. Sleep would not come to her now. Her mind would not let her rest.

If she returned, however, she could apologize, yet her fear kept her rooted inside the cave. She never really explained anything to them. Jamie didn't bother to jump in and tell Ty she had already shifted, but would that really have made a difference?

Michael tried to explain, remembering all the times they played tricks on each other. Neither of them listened, so why would they listen to Jamie. Everyone always thought she was a dumb blond, but Jamie came up with many brilliant ideas when she applied herself. She couldn't put blame on Jenny. A six-year-old should not have had to play mediator to her older siblings. She blamed herself, but she also blamed Jamie. She suggested they keep everything from their brothers and then ran away and left Angelique to bare the brunt. Yes, she agreed and would have suggested it too, but Jamie could have stood with her. Only Michael tried to calm them.