Chapter 39

Angelique woke to the smell of honeysuckles. Logan had fallen asleep beside the bed, with his hand still tucked under her head. Try as she might, her memories of the previous night evaded her.

Remembering the day, she bolted upright. Logan started and then groaned as he pulled his dead arm closer to his body. Naked as the day of her birth, Angelique pulled the sheet up and over her shoulders.

"I never made the cake. Cook depended on me to make the cake."

"You made it last night," Logan said, rubbing his eyes.

"What?"

"Do you not remember?" He seemed more awake as he asked the question.

"No. I remember arguing with you, then the gun went off, then you took the bullet out. I don't remember anything after I did the spell to get those pieces out of me. And don't start blaming yourself for that too. The bullet could have gone anywhere. It could have hit you, but it didn't. For whatever reason, it came at me. I'm alive and though I had a lot to say, I am glad I did not die. Now what happened? How did I make a cake and not remember?"

"I don't know why you don't remember. I brought you back here, laid you down, and then sat in your father's chair. After five minutes, you got up, pulled a robe over your shoulders, and went to the kitchen. You stayed there so long, I went to look for you. Why did you put diamonds in the cake?"

When she raised and eyebrow, he slapped his forehead.

"No seas un idiota. No recuerda haberlo hecho. (Don't be an idiot. She can't remember doing it.)" He shook his head and then continued. "After Cook helped you put the cakes in the fridges, you came back, dropped the robe and went back to sleep."

Which meant he saw all of her already, and she didn't even shave yet. Her cheeks flamed and heat rushed from her chest to her scalp. She pulled the sheet over her head and groaned.

"I did not watch you, if that makes you feel better. I should admit to undressing you so I could wash the blood off you. I do not want you to think ill of me when you do remember. Uh, do you know if your wolf has a photographic memory too?"

"I don't know. Why?"

"After you did the spell, you fell asleep, but I had to wake you to shift. You said to make her angry and I may have used the word you do not like."

"May have?"

"Okay. I used it. You said to make her angry. Anyway, I asked because it can be that she does not remember, which means you won't. We need to talk--"

Angelique pulled the sheet off her head. "What is the time?"

Logan pulled the face of an old Rolex out of his shirt pocket. "Eight, but we really--"

"No time. The ceremony has to start at nine. Thomas and Patricia will be here by noon. I may do something you won't like, but you have to know beforehand, it is all pretend. You still have to make it believable or it won't work. Now, if you still want to marry me and be my king, get out and go get ready. If not, then send Andrew to fetch me in an hour. I won't hold you to your promise, but I don't have the luxury to wallow either. I will not let those demons take this land or my family."

Since he had already seen all of her, she dropped the sheet and went to the bathroom. Perhaps if he saw what he would give up, he may change his mind and stick around to claim his mate. In an hour she would know if it worked.

As she closed the door, Logan called to her, but she turned on the shower to drown out anything he had to say. The ball was in his court. One way or another, she would marry that day, even if she had to beg her brother. That thought sent shivers down her spine.