| one |

Jelani Chanel Adisa

"Today our topic is Love." Mr. Tashani paced around the room, his white button up shirt tucked neatly in his black creased slacks. The all black loafers that adorned his feet made subtle thumps as he walked. He continued, "So, who wants to start us off?"

One of the more outspoken and well-known girls of the campus raised her hand. Her smooth coffee colored arm flew into the air, before she confidently placed an arch in her back, and lay her hand back upon her desk once her name was called.

"I feel like love, these days, is not even real. All niggas wanna do is fuck a bitch, and all these bitches wanna do is fuck and play these niggas before they get played." Her statement caused multiple groans and moan to erupt. Mr. Tashani shushed them and called on this beige toned girl.

"But everyone want's to get on social media and post these couples and say goals. Real love is achieved by time, not by just finding someone to take pictures with." A lot of the females in my class rejoiced in agreement.

"Man yall shut the hell up. Half of yall females agreeing with her be posting those couples on yall page talking about goals and mood. Yall give them type of relationships attention, and then wanna rush shit to be like them muthafuckas." Zaylen, a light skinned skinny boy that sits near me, stated. Tashani bobbed his head in agreement. I shyly raised my hand and waited to be called upon.

"Yes, Jelani?" Tashani's voice resonated throughout the class, and all eyes landed on me.

"I just feel like, instead of trying to put all our effort into taking pictures and getting likes, we should focus on achieving something real. Something where there is a healthy level of infatuation on both ends, tons of loyalty and trust. See I crave for a relationship you would see in the 90's. One where there is nothing but raw emotions and genuine intentions. I want that love I grew up seeing portrayed in movies or sitcoms. I want something real, and pure."

▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬

{ Jelani Above }

{ Jelani Above }

"Lani, where you going?" Taylor, Ni'ella, and Jessica all sat in Jessica's dorm, staring at me through Taylor's phone.

"I am currently heading to Starbucks." I glanced down at my phone, that sat on my lap, once I stopped at a red light.

"Oh, okay. Well around 3 we are heading out to grab some food. Come with us."

"Yeah, Lani! It's been like two whole days since we've seen you." Jessi groaned dramatically.

" Alright, we can all meet up."

"Okay perfect, don't be late."

Mazi Simon Anekwe

"You know Maz, you the only nigga I know that's out here getting frappe's from Starbucks." Rell snickered, standing a few feet behind me in line. Of course, I ain't see nothing wrong with getting a Vanilla bean frappe, but Terell found it feminine.