| four |

Jelani Chanel Adisa

"Got the bodddyy of a Goddess. Got eyes butter pecan brown I see you girrrllll!" Ni'Ella sang along with the track as my hips swayed and I dramatically flipped my hair. I am always her backup dancer when we have our kitchen performances, simply because she can sang her ass off and I am always dancing.

The kitchen contained the sweet aroma and vanilla and cinnamon- two of our special ingredients we use for Pancakes. The bacon sizzled on the stove, while the eggs finished cooking on the isle behind it.

Ni'ella and I tend to have home-cooked breakfast dates as often as we can. This gives us the time to catch up and bond. The music continued to play as we made our plates and ate the food we prepared.

"So, It's been a little buzz around campus Rell, Mazi's friend is throwing a little pool party. I think we should go." Side-eying her, she immediately started smiling like an idiot. Yall know that smile, when you tryna be slick but appear as innocent- yeah that's the one she was doing.

"When is it Ni'Ella?" She has this really bad habit of telling me about events at the last minute because she knows it gives me no time to procrastinate.

"Today." Her voice barely above a whisper.

"Ella!"

"What? It will be fun! And you'll get to see Mazi! You know you wanna come, pleasseeee Lani."

"Okay, Ni'ella."

"I knew you wouldn't say no once I mentioned Mazi." Her shoulders gave a slight shrug as she nonchalantly continued to eat her food.

"Oh, you just know me, huh?" Giggles intertwined my words, and a smirk covered my face.

"Duh, bitch. Now get up, we got shit ta' do before this party."

"This bitch jumpin'

"This bitch jumpin'." My words low as my eyes scanned the crowded pool area. Bodies were placed upon bodies, music shook the area, the smell of weed lingered heavily, and red SOLO cups were spotted everywhere- especially in people's hands.

"I'm too drunk to text so can we face time!" I sang along to Facetime by 21 Savage and swayed my hips as Ni'Ella and I made our way to where Mazi and Rell sat.