Chapter 1

I step out of the cab in one swift movement. As I walk on the path that holds my future, the rhythmic sound of my heels hitting the pavement follows me. What if I get a patient that is scared of dogs? I can't write a paper on that! How am I supposed to get a doctorate with a paper on a person who's afraid of fuzzy animals? While I'm worrying about things that could kill my career, I fail to notice the huge building coming into view. The building is also known as "The Winnebago Mental Health Institute". What a charming name.

    I quickly study the monstrosity. It's quite horrendous to be honest. Its shell is made of layers of sand colored brick, and it has thick rectangular pillars made out of the same material that reach from the ground to the roof. The roof is the most ugly color of gray I've seen; it reminds me of the color of dry and crusty clay. When I had been doing research on this place, in the pictures they tried to cover up its ugliness with vibrant flowers and beautiful trees. But now, the sky is dark with thundering clouds and nothing around it is living, the building looks like a disaster.

    The pavement I’m walking on, soon turns to gravel. Just great. Walking on gravel in heels! I'm going to fall on my face! It takes ten minutes to walk up the uneven and slightly damp path to get to the building. And now I’m almost late for my interview and meeting with the boss of the institute. I quickly walk into the entryway of the building, not bothering to take in my surroundings, and check in with the receptionist. When I walk up to the receptionist desk, she gives me a fake look of happiness I know too well. The little piece of metal on her desk reads Ms. Heart. That's a pretty last name.

    "Hello! How may I help you today?" She asks with a perky tone. Her smile seems to take up her whole face. Her face also happens to be wrinkle free, this woman is young and very beautiful. She has sophisticated dark hair that is pulled back into a bun at the nape of her neck without a hair out of place. Dang how much hairspray does she use? I smile back.

    "Hi! I have a meeting with Dr. Mathews," I reply, trying to be as bright and sunny as she is. I fail, due to the fact that I'm terrified that this offer isn't going to work out. Her face drops a little bit, and switches to a look of confusion, but before I could react, her plastic smile covers her face once more.

    "Okay, what's your name? I need to know so I can tell Dr. Mathews that you are here," she babbles.

    "My name’s Evelyn Jackson," I tell her with confidence. That's one question I can answer with certainty. Ms. Heart nods and picks on the phone of her not-so-organized desk. She presses a few buttons then starts speaking into the phone.

    "Hello Dr. Mathews. I have an Evelyn Jackson here. She says has a meeting with you?" Her last sentence sounds like a question. She pauses for a few seconds, leading me to believe that Dr. Mathews is talking. "Ok Sir, I'll have her in the waiting area for you," she says then drops the phone nonchalantly into its receiver. "He'll be out in a few minutes, for now you can sit right over there." She says and points a corner of the lobby where there are multiple chairs and little tables with magazines. I nod and make my way over there.

    I take a seat and immediately think about just standing until Dr. Mathews comes out. They must have tried to find the most uncomfortable rocks to make this chair, not just regular rocks, but the most jagged and misshaped. Trying to ignore the sharp and  protruding cushions, I pick up a magazine on the little table next to me. I flip to a page at random.

    "Brazilian Leaders Need Money for Artillery" Oh great idea America! Dig us a bigger hole to crawl out of. It seems that's all are president is doing now-a-day. I keep reading the article, becoming engrossed in the news of the soon future of our country. I jump, when all of a sudden, someone taps on my shoulder.