Strength and Fear

Ghosts, demons, haunted houses, and legends drew my curiosity. Every chance I got I would lose myself in books on these subject matters. At the tender age of seven I decided to start my training as an exorcist. My family, the Strife's, have always turned out skilled exorcists in all meister areas. It was because of this fact that leads to my family to be treated like royalty and like many others in my family, I'm no exception. At the age of fifteen I am now a full-fledged exorcist. My family couldn't be prouder. My mother, Mila and father, Chris were doctors and being researchers came with the territory. My sister, Clara is an aria and tamer and my brother, Marcus is a knight and tamer. My baby brother, Sora on the other hand has just begun his training and hasn't figured out what he wants to be. As the third child, I had to be an overachiever. I became a tamer, dragoon, and knight. Today is a special for me, as a Senior First Class Exorcist, I'll take my right of passage.

"Raula, it's time." said my father.

"I'm ready." I replied.

As a new high ranking exorcist in the America Branch of the Knights of the True Cross, I must follow tradition and have myself marked. Branding is special as it sets us apart from the other branches. The America Branch is the only branch that does this to their higher-ranking exorcist. The process itself is very painful and going through it shows strength. The process begins with the recipient laying on a table surrounded by arias. Then the recipient is held down by two people they consider special, and after that the process can begin. Arias begin to chant a special verse that looks deep within the recipient's soul and forms a distinct mark and since the process is highly painful and the possibility of shock is high; doctors must be present in the room.

When I walk into the room, I see that many exorcists from all rankings, including my friends and family are present to watch me go through the right of passage.

"Please lay down, Ms. Strife." said an aria.

When I laid down I looked up and smiled as I saw that my parents had accepted the honor of holding me down as they had with Clara and Marcus.

"Let's begin." said another aria.

The arias began to chant.

"God gave humans a soul, a distinct mark that allows him to know his children." I screamed and cried as a burning sensation began to trace over my heart. "The mark we bear shows our true selves. While the eyes are the windows to the soul, this mark is the mirror. God, please protect the one who bears your mark of love. Amen."

When the ceremony was over, my mother wiped my tears and my father stood me up and before he and my mother applied aloe to my mark and wrapped it in gauze, I presented in front of a mirror. When I looked at my reflection, I looked at the place where I felt the burning. Over my heart, I saw a wolf howling at the moon within a heart. I smiled at this and turn to everyone present.

"I see God has marked me. He's marked me as one that is loyal and connected to her own spirituality. I accept this mark as my own and by the grace of God, my father, I will do everything in my power to follow this path!"

~Short Time Skip~

~Months Later~

Not wanting to brag, but Raula was comfortable with her life. In the world of exorcists, she came from a prestigious family and was treated like a princess. Contrary to popular belief, she and her siblings weren't spoiled brats, in fact, they were hard working and very kind. She was blessed with strength, talent, intelligence, and above all else, beauty. Proving this fact, she stared at her reflection in the mirror as she got ready that morning. She wore her school uniform which consisted of a black fitted blazer with a sun and moon symbol on the left side chest pocket, a white button up shirt, a navy blue plaid tie, matching skirt, black stockings, and black shoes. The uniform showed off her figure which turned heads everywhere she went, but the confessions she received daily were just a small portion of her daily annoyances.