Chapter 5

Chapter 5

(All characters belong to Suzanne Collins)

Another week passed and pretty soon Cinna and Gale will be back to pick me up and head to the Capitol. The problem was that I didn't know if I should go. I already told Peeta I would, but I have people depending on me to feed them, I have children, and I have Peeta...

But if I don't, there is a chance Snow's granddaughter will escape the woods and hurt my people, but it really just might be that we are over reacting. She's only, what, sixteen?

I decide to go because Gale and Cinna are coming too. It gives me a chance to catch up with Cinna, and possibly regain friendship with Gale.

It's about seven in the morning and Peeta is still sleeping. So are the kids. I kiss him on the cheek. I finally realize what I am about to do to him.

I remember how broken I was when Peeta was hijacked and hated me because of what the Capitol imprinted into his brain. He didn't die, but he was gone. And I was broken.

I can't imagine how Peeta would feel if I died. I can't imagine how I would die, I mean we're just hunting down President Snow's granddaughter.

Peeta opens his eyes. He looks confused for a few seconds, taking in his surroundings.

He looks at me. "Hey," his voice is rough, from sleep probably.

"Hey." My heart skips. Today is Thursday, I'm leaving tomorrow.

"I love you," he says, "I want you to know that. Before you go, I want to give you something..."

He gets up, scooting me aside. I prop myself up on my elbow, and watch as Peeta grabs something out of his dresser drawer.

He turns to me, holding the peril he gave to me on the beach in the Quarter Quell.

"How did you get... Where did you..."

"I found it. At what used to be your home. I figured you dropped it..."

I get up and wrap my arms around him. We stand like this for a few minutes, then Willow walks in, claiming she is hungry.

I smile, and grab Willow's hand. Peeta grabs mine, and we walk to Willows room to carry Rye downstairs.

I make them all their favorite, eggs mixed with cheese we got from the goat farm.

I set the table, and we eat the eggs in silence. I wonder how I'm going to tell the kids...