Chapter 2: I am who I am

Chapter 2

A rooster loudly called out at the peak of sunlight. I fluttered my eyelashes open and tossed my head around the room. The bed kept me restricted from moving too much because it was so small. The room itself was small, and made out of birch would with small furniture inside. I looked across from me at the annoying grand clock. It had been driving me insane for the whole night with its ‘tick, tock’ repeating. This clock and rooster actually made me miss my old arm clock. I narrowed my half open eyes and looked over the clock.

                It’s six o’clock. Six o’clock...! I wake no earlier than ten thirty six on weekends! I tossed my head to the very small old fashioned window at the side of me. It had floral curtains hanging from the sides. I never liked patterns or flowers on cloth. I rubbed my hand on the fogged up window and looked into the distance seeing the loud rooster. I couldn’t simply smash it to the ground like I did with my alarm clock but...I could do something else.

                Just let it go Rienne. Ignore it, go back to sleep. – My angel voice interrupted

                I sighed and tossed around to my side, closing my eyes once more. Soreness was dragging down from my neck to my knees. My head felt as if it was reading on a cold rock instead of a pillow. If I can’t handle this... I can’t imagine how Neil’s handling it. He’s probably weeping in a corner or already dead. I quietly giggled to myself and hugged my chest with my arms. I attempted to drown the sound of the rooster out but it didn’t work. I grinded my teeth, blocked my ears but we all know that blocking your ears never actually works unless you sing really loudly.

                That’s it. I’m giving into my temptations!  

                Then, it all grew silent. Did the rooster hear my thoughts? Seconds later, the sound of fluttering wings echoed into the room. Yes, I can hear it all the way in here. What did I expect? My grandma’s house passed down from generations is not a five star hotel. Not even a one star. Sorry Grandma, but it was asking for it.

                I leapt to sit up and leaned myself against the window seeing a silhouette of a guy. His shape was very familiar to my eyes. He was smacking the rooster on the head repeatedly. The rooster attempted to make an escape but he grabbed the bird’s legs and wouldn’t release it. Actually, he looked a lot like Neil. What is he doing? The rooster pushed its chicken leg feet on Neil’s crotch.  Neil released the bird in pain and then the bird quickly turned on him and started pecking on Neil’s head. And then round and round they go. I burst out into laughter but my laughter faded when Neil picked up an axe.

                He’s not actually going to kill it right? If I did, it wouldn’t matter. If Neil did, it would give my grandma the excuse she needed to chop off Neil’s head. I struggled to open the frosted window and when it did, I yelled with all of my might.

                “Neil! Don’t kill it! It won’t be the only one dead if you do!” I screamed a warning. He snapped his head at me like a vicious animal with teeth clenched, eyes popped and bangs under his eyes. I should video tape this. Put it on America’s funniest home videos and gain ten thousand. He might as well make me rich before he dies.

                I got up from the bed, escaped the room and quietly walked out of the home to stop him from doing something that would get him in serious trouble. When I entered the field Neil grabbed a hold of the rooster with an axe against its neck. He’s officially lost it.

                “Neil,” I sighed. I rubbed my arms back and forth to shake off the cold air of the morning. Neil’s back was facing me as he muttered threats to the Rooster as if it understood everything he just said. He really does have a bird brain.