Seeds

Kenya POV-

"Mommy I don't like funerals." Livy said as we pulled up to the church where they were having my father's funeral.

"Me either baby." I sighed.

Odell looked over at me, to make sure I was okay.

We had drove to Baton Rouge from New Jersey. A lengthy ride, but it gave us a chance to connect as a family. The kids seemed to like road trips. Us all being stuck together, with no way out and no excuses for not being there.

The kids hadn't been to Baton Rouge since they were babies.

"Why do we die if God loves us mommy?" Livy asked.

"I ain't gon die. I'mma be 100." K-Man boasted.

"We all die silly. Right mommy?" Livy said.

"Yes baby."

"But why?"

I had no words. Only tears.

Odell touched my shoulder.

"I'm sorry to make you cry mommy. I didn't mean it." Livy started crying.

"I'm fine sugar plum. I'm fine." I wiped my eyes.

"Livy you remember you went with Daddy when him and his team planted a Garden for the kids last summer." O asked Livy.

"Yes."

"And remember we came back and the vegetables had grew big?"

"Uh-Huh." She said.

"What did the big vegetables come from?"

"Seeds."

"Little tiny seeds." O said. "That's why we die. So we can be seeds so other people grow big and strong. Grandma Karol died so mommy could have her company, and Pa-Pa died so mommy, you, K-Man and auntie Anna can grow big and strong."

I looked at O. He touched my thigh lovingly. I loved how he was with the kids. He had such a parenting spirit.

"Who is Auntie Anna?" K-Man asked.

We looked at each other.

"Livy you remember Auntie Anna?"

"No."

I felt a sadness in the pit of my stomach. Our family was so disconnected, they didn't even remember their aunt.

"Well she used to change your diapers. And take care of you guys." O said.

"She gon be here?" K-Man asked.

"Yup. And so will your uncles." Odell said.

"We got uncles too?" Livy said surprised.

"Yup. Trevante and Trent." Odell said.

"Daddy can we see where you used to play football?" K-Man asked.

"Yes. After the funeral."

"Yay." Ken said. "I'mma go there."