(3) Castle Walls

Castle Walls

Chapter Three

------------------------------------------

                “Step, step, turn. Arm right, slide, arm left, slide. Bring it in. Shake. Turn. Shake. Turn, jump!”

                I was still trying to keep up with Dylan’s fast pace. I hadn’t seen her since English earlier before entering the choir room where she was getting warmed up. Then we began our lesson.

                I fumbled, cursing under my breath.

                “Come on, Angel, you almost got it! You can do it!”

                I tried again and my foot fumbled again, causing me to almost trip. Swearing a bit louder, I made my way over to a nearby chair and sat, drinking from my water bottle and tugging at the end of my cheerleader uniform. They really need to make longer skirts, but Coach probably ordered them like this, saying it will boost our confidence.

                Dylan, a bit frustrated, sat down three feet away from me, drinking from her own water bottle and leaning back, closing her eyes. “Nothing like a good workout, right?”

                I only nodded, not sure whether she had seen me or not. Oh, well, I didn’t care.

                “Now, let’s try it again.”

                I stood; ready to continue with the lesson. We had been sitting down for about three minutes, the minimum amount time Coach had us sit. A cheerleader was useless when she was tired. But,we only sat down when we had an extra-long practice or had done a really hard routine multiple times. Moving to the middle of the floor, Dylan started the music again. This time, it was ‘Dynamite’, which was better than Rihanna’s songs any day.

                I did all of the moves close to right, and Dylan kept up her ‘encouraging’ talk that wasn’t so encouraging.

                I finally got to the ending, with a small misstep. It was almost unavoidable at this point. Ending, I had my hand in the air, tilted slightly, and my other hand on my hip with my feet separated.

                “Stay there,” Dylan said, forcing me to stand still. She moved around me, analyzing my posture. She kneeled down toward my feet, moving them into a more comfortable position, surprisingly. She then moved to my hand and waist, making me jut out my hip a bit more than it already was. With my other hand, she made the arm bend a bit more, also having my hand dip more. Then, she moved to my face. She turned my head to look directly at myself in a mirror while she worked away. She pulled my skin so it looked like I was smiling. I complied, allowing her to do so.

                “Smile, it makes the crowd happy.” She smiled at me. I felt extremely uncomfortable by this for some reason. I gulped.

                Feeling awkward, Dylan quit smiling, looking away for a moment. She then walked over to a chair to get her bag and I relaxed my muscles, going out of my position. I found my bag by the chair I sat in earlier, putting the single strap around my shoulder.

                “So, I’ll see you later?” I asked.

                She nodded, “Yeah, see you later Angel. Now, if you don’t mind, I’m going to go try to turn on my junk pile of a car.” She smiled at me one last time before leaving the room with her stereo in hand, her jacket around her waist. I don’t see why, though, that she ran out like that.