Chapter Three: Settling In

TONY

I woke up and saw Harper, the suns rays gleaming in her eyes making them glow golden brown, there was Rogers too, his arm over the back of her chair. Talking to her about his stupid shield, is that all he had going for him. A shield? "Hello." I said loudly and they looked over, his arm slowly sliding off her chair as the plane landed softly on the runway. "Have a nice sleep?" I asked a little too loudly to be normal, "Fine thanks." She said looking at me uncertainly, "Very well thank you sir." he answered and it saw the perfect mask on his face which covered the look of uncertainty very well. The door popped open and Coulson lead the way out into the soft summer air, salt, I smelled salt..., "We're on a boat?" I asked loudly and Harpers eyes quickly studied the floor below us, "It's a plane, disguised as a boat, you can tell from the electronic imprints on the Tarmac here, a boat wouldn't have them." Everyone stared at her and she blushed, "Like father like daughter I guess." Coulson said and he lead me away, "Make sure she's introduced and settled in Barton."

HARPER

I watched them leave as I grabbed my bag from the pilot gratefully, "This is agent Romanoff and Dr Banner." Barton said and I turned around spotting the figures coming towards us, "Hi, I'm Harper Tonys adopted daughter." They shook my hand and we glanced over the ship, aware that the people around us were beginning for take off, "Shall we?" Steve took my bag off me and lead me towards the door with Dr Banner close on our heels, "I'm very fond of your work dr banner, it's positively amazing. The research you've collected over the years is incredibly interesting, only specialist S.H.I.E.L.D agents are allowed to see it but Tony got it sent to him a few years ago and I got a glimpse at some of it." He nodded and I blushed at my blabbering. Steve seemed to notice and he smiled at me as we walked through the door and into a control room buzzing with voices. His face lighting up in interest at the people rushing round, they're computers beeping and lighting up. Must be a whole new experience for him. "If you'll just come and see director fury miss stark. He'd like to talk to you about your research."

STEVE

"I've seen your re-search Stark, it's pretty impressive for the time you had to do it." Fury passed me a tablet and I read through it, trying to make sense of the diagrams and symbols, "You did this in one night right?" "13 hours. If you don't count breaks." Fury handed her a thick folder and she sat at the table opening it, "She's great isn't she." Coulson sat down next to me smiling, "Mm, Hm." I bought up her profile, "Orphaned?" "When she was a year old. One worked for S.H.I.E.L.D. The other was from...Asgard, that's it. She was from Asgard." I nodded trying to make sense of things, she was half immortal then, "That's how she can." He nodded and then looked at her, "Steve says he'll show you his shield later." I looked at him confused and then realised what he was doing, "Miss Starks probably got things to do." She shook her head turning the page of her folder. "That would be amazing, thank you." Coulson patted me on the back trying not to laugh before standing up and walking over to Tony.

HARPER

"Here you go, room 304." Nat gave me a mint and I popped it in my mouth, "Thanks." She smiled, "Well I bet your used to king size beds with lobster on gold plates and the latest fashion living with Tony." I shrugged looking down at my converses, "Well no not really, I don't like king size beds, they're too big, we only have lobster at fancy parties and we don't go very often because Tony doesn't like posh conventions, and gold plates wouldn't be practical, the metals too soft." She smiled, "I prefer the simple things too if I'm honest, some people make such a big deal out of nothing...dinners in a couple of hours." She walked out of the room. Opening up my suitcase, I sprang into action, Laying my clothes in the drawer, putting my wash bag in the bathroom and propping a picture of my mum and dad on the shelf I glanced out of the window as there was a slow rumble of an engine. There was a sensation of flying as the plane lifted out of the water and into the sky, my ears popped, I looked in the mirror on the wall at my lank hair and dusty clothes, eurgh! I couldn't go to dinner like this, I got out of my clothes and went into the shower making sure to take out my earpiece and I relaxed as the warm water sprinkled on me like warm summer rain. Once I'd finished with the shower, I changed into a jumper with converses and jeans. I was brushing my hair when: 'KNOCK, KNOCK' oh someone was at the door, I hurried over, smoothing my hair and looking in the mirror on the wall as I opened the door, it was Tony, "Hey, thought I'd walk you to dinner, it's a pretty big boat." I nodded grabbing my earpiece and put it back in my ear as we walked down the hall, my door closing softly behind us.

STEVE

I sat down at the table smoothing the table cloth, waiting for everyone to arrive, Tony was first with Coulson as they sat opposite me nodding in my direction talking about some high school joke, Natasha and Clint were next and a second later, Harper in a casual pretty outfit, my stomach flipped. She smiled at me and sat next to Tony as he stared open eyed at her, guess he was shocked to see his kid showing her arms! We began the meal seeing as only Fury was missing, making small conversation, mostly too tired to talk, the meal was soup, hot stuff with garlic pastry bread that tasted so delicious that I had another piece, maybe it had something to do with the fact that I'd been frozen for seventy years but I was always hungry. Harper saw that I had some soup on my lip and leaned over pressing a napkin in my hand, "Lip!" She whispered and I chuckled quietly pretending or cough as I wiped my face clean. Maybe this is what it would be like if I would have taken Peggy out for dinner, no I had to stop this. It was 70 years later, she must have moved on so so should I. I needed to stop my mind from going off track. Maybe this Teseract project would help me get back into the swing if things.

When dinner was over everyone left quickly, Coulson called Clint over and they walked away, deep in conversation, I glanced over at the door to see Harper anxiously glancing left and right, I walked past her brushing past her softly with my arm, "Lost?" She nodded and I lead her down he corridor towards her room, "I'm not used to this sort of stuff." "You haven't been on any S.H.I.E.L.D. missions before?" "No, Tony doesn't let me in on any S.H.I.E.L.D. cases, only this time. Strange really." She shook her head, deep in thought, we stopped at her door. "Goodnight ma'am." "You slip into your old accent sometimes. Do I?" "You do come across British sometimes ma'am, wait...Miss Stark. There we go, I need to get back into things really, try to fit in." "It's good to be different, I mean elemental power and visions yay!" "You make it work." She blushed a rosy pink and I smiled, walking down the corridor to my room, "Goodnight." I walked into my room.