Chapter Ten

Blaine

I took a few deep breaths, in and out. Today was the day I planned to be spectacular, if everything worked out alright. My vocal cords were feeling decent, which meant that I might be able to pull off a decent song.

No song I'd sing would ever be as good as the Teenage Dream, however. There was just something about that day which sparked a light into that song. All the time I had spent rehearsing meant nothing, but the moment I stepped up to the piano to begin playing, I felt something sweep over the song that I rarely every have before: emotion. And I couldn't help but think I owed it all to Kurt.

Where was Kurt, anyway? Tina and I waited together backstage as Puck and Jake finished their rendition of Greased Lightnin', dancing as slick as possible as almost all the girls went crazy. But my mind quickly slipped from Kurt as I saw the look on Tina's face.

"Tina, don't be mad..." I told her.

Her arms were crossed, and her brown eyes gazed at me with criticism. But once again, like always, she gave in. "I'm not mad. It took me a while, but I realize that he was just a pleasure thing. I know you'll be back to normal by Monday morning, and then we can be best friends again, right?"

"We never stopped being best friends," I assured her. "Are you ready to go on?"

"I think so. But where is Kurt? He said it was possible that he wouldn't make it for the song, which is why we worked around the number without him, but I didn't think he actually meant it," she said.

"I don't know. We are still prepared, though. You're going to do amazing." I put my hands on her shoulders and looked straight into her eyes.

She sighed. "Thank you for this Blaine. I'm really happy you chose this song. It makes me feel like you might be doing this... for me."

"I did do it for you, Tina! I wanted to make it up to you, since I know I've kind of been a jerk to my friends lately. This isn't about Kurt. This is all about you, because you're the star and you need your chance to shine like I know you can," I told her.

"I can't believe how much has happened between the first time I sang in freshman year, and now again in my senior year. I don't want to let you down," she said.

"You won't," I replied, followed with a tight hug just as the two boys on stage were singing the last note together while striking a pose.

Our hands laced together as we put on our smiles and walked out onto the stage proudly.

"Ah yes, next up is Blaine and Tina," Mr. Schue announced when he saw us, Puck and Jake taking seats next to each other in the audience. "Do you need any props, or room for choreography?"

"No," I replied as Tina got into place and passed a sign to the band set up in the back. "It's just us."

The music began and I looked out into the audience of the Glee Club. Out of the corner of my eye, Tina was preparing to sing, too. Then, she opened her mouth, turned to me, and sang out.

Only you, you're the only thing I'll see forever
In my eyes, in my words, and in everything I do
Nothing else but you, ever

I took a deep breath as my part approached, as we were about to engage in the full song. Something about this made me feel a strong connection, like it had to be perfect. We had previously chosen to keep the song just the way it was, with no edits or changes because the song alone deserved to be sung the right way. Finally our voices matched up, like a key in a lock, just when the back doors opened and Kurt rushed in to sit down...

And there's nothing for me but Maria
Every sight that I see is Maria

Tony, Tony...