Chapter Fourteen

Kurt

Clearly this was a joke. I laughed nervously, waiting for Rachel and Santana to eventually join in and tell me that this was all a tease. I shoved the phone back in Rachel's direction after Sam had just told me his little announcement. When both of their expressions remained stone hard, the unwanted reality came crashing down harder than a waterfall. Still, there was no way that any of this could be real.

Rachel twisted the phone nervously in her hands. Finally, Sam's voice broke through on the other end. "Hello, Kurt? Rachel? Are you there?"

She quickly decided to put the phone back up and hold it to her ear. "Yeah, we're here. I think Kurt just needs some time to... process. What else do you know about it? Oh my god, are you sure? Okay, fine, so we'll call you back later. Please call us if anything happens. Alright. Thanks, bye."

I watched as she ended the call and returned the phone to its place. Moments passed by where no one said anything.

"So... it's true?" I asked, my voice immediately breaking.

Rachel opened her mouth to talk, but it was Santana who spoke up next. "Wait, is anyone going to tell me what's going on? Did I hear something about a car crash?"

"Sam just called, telling us about an, um, accident that happened to Blaine and Tina," Rachel replied softly with her eyes on the floor. "They're trying to recover in the hospital."

"Tina and Blaine?" she repeated, her eyes instantly shifting to me. "What, are they going to make it?"

Rachel shrugged sadly. "Sam doesn't know. Nothing has been confirmed yet. He was just about to go into Blaine's room after he hung up."

"What do we do?" I asked worriedly.

"There's nothing we can do. They're in the hospital now, and at least we know Sam is with them. The best we can do is just sit back and wait," Rachel replied.

"Sit back and wait?" I questioned. "That's your excuse for a good idea?"

"What would you suggest, huh? What could we possibly do that would help them now? Even if we were with them, are you just going to pull out your diamond-studded first-aid kit and save some lives? I told you there's nothing we can do," she said, now very annoyed.

I was going to blow. By now there were shivers ripping through my body, and I began staring blankly at the wall. Suddenly I had no interest of thinking of anyone else, and had even ignored her rude comment. "Blaine is hurt..." I muttered.

"Blaine is going to be okay," Rachel said soothingly as she came over to cup my face in her hands in attempt to recover from the tone she had previously used. "They're both going to be okay."

"You don't know that, do you Rachel?!" I snapped, throwing her hands off me. "Did he say they were going to be okay?"

She was stunned. "Well, no. But he didn't really--"

"Blaine is hurt, and it's all my fault!" I yelled.

"Kurt, calm down!" Santana suddenly interjected. I hadn't remembered the last time she used my full name.

"I'm not going to calm down!" I continued to yell. "He's hurt and he could be dying and it's all my fault!"

"Stop talking like that!" Rachel shouted back. "Stop blaming yourself! This whole thing is completely out of our hands!"

I sucked in a big breath of air. "He was only at the airport to see me. Even you know that. And he would have never gone there in the first place if I had never had that stupid crush! He drove home from the airport and crashed the car! Because of me!"