Chapter Thirteen

Blaine

My vision was clouded the moment my eyelids slowly opened. I blinked a few times, hardly adjusting to the sunlight in the room and unsure of when the last time I had blanked. I felt as though all my senses were numb, and nothing about me was one-hundred percent efficient. My body felt useless.

Slowly, my fingers began to wiggle at my sides, running over the off-white sheets. But those weren't my sheets, and I could immediately tell that this wasn't my bed. It took a few more times of blinking until I was sure that I wasn't anywhere familiar. The walls were colored an odd purple shade, and everything was some sort of pastel color. This wasn't my room, and this wasn't the room of anyone I knew.

I tilted my head to see medical equipment set up on one side of the bed. No one I knew had medical equipment in their room.

That's when I recognized the reality when pain began to shoot through my entire body. Three words repeatedly ran through my mind, like a film strip on a reel.

This wasn't happening.

I fell limp as the feeling of ache took over me. My eyes widened in horror as I looked down to see a wrinkled, polka-dotted hospital gown dressing my body. From its loose neckline, I could hardly make out a tightly wound bandage around my chest.

My breath quickened as I forcefully tried to lift myself off the bed, but gave up from the intense amount of pain that was becoming too quickly familiar. The beeping medical equipment was eager to increase speed before I could shut it up.

Suddenly the sliding glass door on the far right side of the room opened and closed as a tall, slender woman walked in with a clipboard. Her eyes took a moment to scan the board before finally looking up to see me. "Hello, sir. I see you've come down from your anesthesia. How do you feel?"

"W-what?" I whispered as she slowly sat down on the stool beside the bed. "What happened?"

"Don't worry. You're well taken care for," she said. "Blaine Anderson? Ah, yes. Brought into emergency care late last night from an accident."

"A car accident?" I repeated softly.

She then looked at me with much more concern. "Yes. Do you remember this happening?"

"Yes," I nodded slowly. Of course I remembered. I just wished I hadn't.

"Well, some cases of amnesia can be quite popular after car accidents like these," she said.

"I remember," I told her, a little harsher than I expected.

She began reading from the clipboard once again. "It's been recorded here that you have moderate damage to your lower back and several minor fractures in your rib cage. Luckily there were no detected dislocations in bones or muscles, and everything has been set properly. However, a chance of concussion is likely. We'll be able to run a few tests later. Now, how are you feeling?" she asked again.

I groaned. "It hurts."

She nodded. "You'll have to take pain medication for the next few weeks, and our doctors have already put some of the medicine into your system. Now you'll have to keep the bandages for a while and take extreme care to your body."

I closed my eyes and leaned my head back on the hospital pillow.

"Like I said, we'll go through a few tests to see how well your reaction is later on. In the meantime, would you like to see visitors? There may have been two or three people waiting for you in the waiting room."