CHAPTER 1- "NAWAB" FAWAZ MALIK

'Are you sure about these girls?' A middle-aged woman said to another loudly dressed rolly Polly woman sitting next to her.

'Yes, begum...' the other woman assured her handing her more photos of young girls

'But Nagma, this girl...this one (begum pointed at a photo of a thin timid looking girl) she seems very young' Begum complained

'Begum, she just turned 18 this month...she is very young' Nagma said, it is difficult understanding her as she is constantly munching on her Paan.

Begum shook her head 'She is too young, my Fawaz is 30 and you are bringing alliance of an 18-year-old?' she said little sternly.

Nagma sighed

'And why do her parents want her to marry at such young age anyway?' Begum said

'Her father died last year and her mother has six daughters...it's difficult managing so many' Nagma explained calmly.

Begum looked at her furiously 'Are you mad? You are bringing such alliance for the son of a Nawab?' she bellowed.

The two ladies begin to quarrel disturbing the beauty sleep of son of Nawab.

Fawaz stirred in his bed, groaning. Today is Sunday and is an off day, he was hoping for good sleep and rest. Working as a bank manager is very tough work, Fawaz also works overtime including Saturdays. He is an overambitious person and is greedy for success. But Sunday is his day to relax, and these women. The sounds became unbearable and Fawaz sat up straight on his bed muttering curses under his breath.

He got up from his bed and quickly wore his shirt and climbed down stairs.

Fawaz rolled his eyes on noticing Nagma here. His mother seemed more eager than anyone, even him, to get him married. Fawaz though stands firm in his decision, to not marry now. Even though he has told the same to his mother like gazillion times, she is still adamant to get him married off. Fawaz has bigger plans. Being over-ambitious that he is, he wants to marry once he is settled professionally. Begum argues, he will never be settled and hence will never marry.

'You are already 30, when do you plan to marry when you are 40?' she always reasoned, and every time Fawaz assured her that, that will not happen.

He walked towards them and stood beside his mother, looking down he saw many photos of girls of all shape, size, and age. Fawaz massaged his forehead in frustration.

'Look Fawaz what bakwas alliance this woman has got for you' Begum Charged at Fawaz.

'These are not bakwas, your thinking is bakwas' Nagma defended equally angry

'You get out' Begum growled

'I am not interested...good luck finding a wife for him' Nagma says flinging her bag on her shoulder, she grabbed a handful of photos and stuffed it in her bag. Huffing in anger she turned on her heels and walked away.

Begum slumped on the sofa, Fawaz quickly gets cold water for his mother.

'Ma, why are you doing like this? How many times I have told you, I am not ready for marriage' he explained massaging his mother's arms

'Why aren't you ready, for that stupid bank job? You are the son of Nawab and you are working like a donkey in a bank?' Begums said annoyed. Fawaz sighed 'Ma, this is 21st century India...There are no Nawabs now, plus we are bankrupt. If I don't work, we will starve to death' he said trying to be calm but his patience is getting seriously tested.

Begum looked at him 'But being a Nawab is our pride' she said sadly

Fawaz nodded and hugged his mother. Fawaz's ancestors had been rich Nawabs and in their time, they had enjoyed every riches and luxuries and with time they spend everything with mindless spending plus after independence they lost their authorities and now, Fawaz and his family is left with nothing but a small bungalow and some land as investment, but they are also useless lands worth nothing in the market. Though Fawaz felt embarrassed about his heritage, his parents still take pride in being descendant of Nawabs.

'I want to see you settled, with a wife and your kids.' Begum said sadly, her head resting on her son's shoulder. Fawaz caressed his mother's arms. Fawaz isn't refusing to marry. In fact, he wants to marry his long-term girlfriend, Miara Alam, but he is waiting for the right time- his promotion. Miara and he had met each other three years ago, at a jogging park. It was a Sunday, Fawaz, as usual, was jogging in the park when he bumped into a girl, the gorgeous woman he had ever seen. Miara looked stunning, with a white flawless skin glowing in the sunlight, her light brown hair tied in a high ponytail. Her perfect hour shaped figure hidden underneath a pink tank top and black track pants. Her black eyes met his and Fawaz felt the cupid's arrow. For him, it was love at first sight. He took another one week to approach her. Slowly, they became friends and then lovers. They are madly in love and now the only step left is their marriage, which thanks to Fawaz is getting delayed, annoying Miara.

Fawaz had silent breakfast with his parents and then came to his room. He opened his laptop and started to watch a movie he had recently downloaded. Half way through the movie, his phone rang. At first, he is annoyed but smiled on seeing Miara's name flashing on his screen.

'Hello.' He said happily.

'Hey! Listen, I want to meet you urgently. CCD at 6 pm.' She said and cut the call without listening to what Fawaz had to say. He frowned, this is so unlike her. But then he ignored the thought, he is excited to meet her.