CHAPTER 25- FINALLY!!!

One week passed by in a jiffy, Fawaz had wanted to stay there longer. Just he and his wife, Maha. They grew closer in this one week, all negative thought left his head. He began enjoying her company and strangely found himself getting more attracted towards her, not just physically. He felt himself connect emotionally with her and understand her better.

Next day at work and he had his first encounter with Tasneem in the elevator. She looked at him but doesn't say anything. Fawaz stood with his back facing her, he didn't want any eye contact with her that will lead to unnecessarily uncomfortable conversation. He is surprised as he doesn't find Arshad, usually, he is first one who greets him. The elevator opened and Fawaz silently got down the elevator with his head held low he walked to Arshad's cabin, he knocked the door but there is no response. Fawaz waited for few minutes but on still not getting any response, he shrugged and walked towards his cabin.

He opened the door and found his entire cabin empty. He frowned. There is just an empty table placed in the middle, there is an empty chair, his nameplate, files, books are missing. He turned around when a peon called him.

'Tasneem Maam wants to meet you, Sir' he said and left with his head held low.

Fawaz felt uneasy with the thought of Tasneem wanting to talk to him, he wondered what bomb she is planning to drop on him now.

Fawaz knocked at Tasneem's cabin, after getting an affirmative reply he entered. He greeted her and noticed Ashok in the cabin as well. The two men greeted each other formally. Ashok held an envelope.

'Good news Mr. Fawaz...you have been promoted as the new Senior Manager and Ashok is our new Manger' she announced. Fawaz smiled brightly, he looked at Ashok who nodded smiling wide formally.

'But Mr. Fawaz...this promotion is temporary' she said smirking and Fawaz's smile faded instantly. The glint in her eyes said it all, this is her trick.

'I will be observing both of you' her gaze fixed on Fawaz, 'if your performance is up to the mark only then the promotion will be permanent.' She said calmly all the while looking at Fawaz. When his gaze caught hers, she smirked at him leaning back in her chair.

Ashok nodded, 'Don't worry Maam I will not disappoint you' he said positively.

'You may go' she said, he nodded and took his leave. Fawaz looked at Tasneem who pretended to be going through some files.

'Why are you doing this to your daughter?' he said angrily walking up to her table. She looked at him pretending to look clueless and this irritated him even more.

'Doing what?' she shrugged innocently.

'Did you know your daughter is on anti-depressant? Do you want her to be on that?' he said slamming his palms on the table. Tasneem also got angry, she stood up glaring at Fawaz.

'How dare you talk to me in this tone? and I know she is on anti-depressant, it is exactly why I am doing this' she said angrily. Fawaz looked at her confused, she knew Maha is going through depression yet she is hurting her, why?

'I had seen you two kissing that night...'Tasneem said and Fawaz's mouth fell open. 'Next day I found her different and cheerful though she was still indifferent with me, then I began noticing a change in her behavior as I found her talking to someone at night...realizing it is you I was more than happy...I knew you are perfect for my daughter but I know you aren't interested in marriage but I had become selfish...After her father's death...after seeing her being depressed I was finally seeing her happy I couldn't help it, I wanted to see her happy always and knowing you...I knew you are perfect but to convince you to marry her I had to do this, to blackmail you...because I wanted you to be there with her always and so I had to ensure you marry her.' She sighed sitting on her seat, she held her forehead with her fingers.

Fawaz's expression changed to a soft one. After a while, Tasneem looked up at him. Fawaz stood still. He noticed her eyes glistening with tears. She removed her glasses and blinked back at her tears exhaling loudly.

'I know you don't love her and married her only for the promotion. That's why I need assurance from you in form of a child and also the child will help Maha get over her depression faster.' Tasneem explained.

Fawaz looked at her helplessly, after few minutes of silence he said, 'Maam, trust me...I will not leave your daughter. But right now, a baby isn't possible, she isn't ready Maam. Let her recover from her depression and paranoia' Fawaz explained, Tasneem looked at him. He nodded hoping his eyes convey her the truth, gives her an assurance that her daughter is in safe hands. Just then Tasneem's phone rang. She quickly composed herself clearing her throat.

'Hello, Rakesh' she said waved Fawaz to leave. He nodded, as he closed the door he heard her muffled sobs, maybe Rakesh is Mr. Khanna.

Fawaz entered the Senior Manager's cabin, his new cabin. He had tears in his eyes as he caressed his name in golden letters on a wooden name plate.

FAWAZ MALIK, SENIOR MANAGER

He walked around the table and sat on his new chair, tears rolled down his cheeks as he touched the mahogany table. Fawaz felt very emotional right now, he picked up few files bringing them close to his nose he sniffed them, a small smile appearing on his lips.

Fawaz sighed happily and then immediately got to work.