Something Like Normal. XIII

YURI

I was talking with Brodic about my birthday plans. It would be my first birthday without my mom throwing me a big party or my dad having his manager call me up asking what I would like and it'll be three days before I get it. "I'm turning seventeen, I should have stopped having parties when I was twelve."

"Didn't ya have a sweet sixteen?" he asked.

I shrugged, "Okay that was good but I feel happy not having my birthday be act as if it's a big deal. Everyone always expects be to throw a big party."

"You are weird, man." he said. "If my parents were as rich as you I'll be throwing parties every weekend."

"All my life I've been to many different parties. I want normal weekends you understand what I mean?  Hang out with friends, go to a movie--"

"Cuddle on the couch with a girlfriend." Brodric smirked and I grinned as we sat down on a bench since we had time to waste before class.

"I had girlfriends." I said.

"But how many were like Jocelyn Bowmen?" he asked. "It's been three months, you two are clearly in love."

"Don't be stupid, she is my friend." I said. "Jocelyn is nice but she would not understand. We both had completely different lives. I don't want to hurt her one day."

"Last week she put you in a headlock for making fun of her hairstyle choice. I doubt you'll be the to hurt her." he said and looked passed me. "Here she comes, pretty quickly."

I turned my head to my left to see Jocelyn racing down the hallway with a big smile on her face. I got up when she got close but she ran right into me. I chuckled as she stumbled back and blushed.

"Sorry," she said. She reached into her pea coat and held out a small square box wrapped in blue wrapping paper towards me, "Happy birthday Yuri, I know it's not something fabulous like your use to getting but I still needed to get you something."

I took the gift, "You did not have to get me anything, Jocelyn."

"Oh please, yes I did. You keep buying me stuff I had to get you something. I know you already have one but I don't really know what to get a guy so--you know what? Just open it." she nervously chuckled.

I shrugged and ripped at the paper. A black box was under it and I opened the lid to see a gold watch. My eyes widen a little, "Oh wow, thanks Jocelyn. You really didn't have to."

"I wanted to." she said. "I know it's pretty plan and not fancy like the one you have but getting you cologne seemed so cheap."

"It is perfect." I said, hugging her. I took off the watch my father given me when I was fifteen and turned to Brodric, "Here." I said as I tossed it to him.